Grace Li
Sunset After Rain, 2020, Acrylic on Canvas

Art serves different purposes for each artist. For me, the purpose of creating art pieces is to reflect on my own life, so that I can see through the mist and notice what had been ignored. This might be a recording of a personal experience, or a reminder of the beauty of nature. Therefore, this painting is a daily scene, which is a split moment that gives me the feeling of gratefulness for having such life. So why not just use photography? I personally think the sentiment of a captured moment can be best conveyed in the language of a painting, and I love the touch of an artist’s hand to a certain image that makes it more personal and unique. I am inventing my own kind of language to speak about my own life, and at the same time adding a twist from my memory. I am experimenting with two kinds of grounds in this project to give the painting a watercolor-like texture. In this painting, the pinkish sky is painted with diluted paint on prepared canvas, which came out as a very breathable and painterly look. Through this painting, you can see a typical town view during sunset after a rain, which is mundane but beautiful, like my life.