Newspaper on Fire Troubles

Trying to recreate an image I saw of a man reading a newspaper on fire for the message photograph: The wind was unpredictable, so I did not know ahead of time where the flames would be. Because of this, I could not use a tripod since setting up in one spot would force me to commit to a single angle that would likely not have worked out because of the direction of the flames. Unfortunately since the paper burns so fast, it became dangerous and difficult for the subject to hold after only about 10 seconds. I needed to take bursts of photos within 10 seconds without a tripod. I wanted a large aperture, shallow depth of field shot so that the newspaper was not in focus and only appeared as a newspaper without specific stories on it. The largest aperture I had available was only f/5.6, which did not give me significant blurriness difference between the subject and the newspaper. I decided to use autofocus to cutdown on the time it would take to snap the pictures during the 10 seconds of flame. Unfortunately, sometimes this autofocus would do the opposite of what I wanted and put the newspaper in focus and the subject in the background.

2 thoughts on “Newspaper on Fire Troubles

1. keyzhou says:

either the object or the idea seems very professional. the quality of the photo is very good. especially of the burning newspaper with the fire that you captured.