Julie.summer

In the summer of 2012, I was an intern for the N.Y.C. Department of Transportation. I worked in the bike department promoting sustainable transportation throughout the city. This experience helped me realize my passion for work in this field. It gave me the opportunity to use what I have learned in many of my EDP classes and apply them to real situations. For one project, I was sent out into the field to take pictures of citizens utilizing different bike lanes throughout the city. I traveled throughout all five boroughs and became increasingly interested in the planning of bike lanes. Due to this project, I am now writing a research paper and presenting a presentation on the planning of bike lanes for the Environmental Design Project class.
My involvement in this internship was helped greatly by my EDP studies. Due to the variety of classes I had to take, I was able to complete all tasks asked of me. I found myself more prepared for this internship than some of the other interns from other schools. I spoke with director of my major who pointed me in this direction. Without his help, I would have not applied for this specific internship and had the great opportunity that I did. I believe this work I completed during this internship will eventually help in finding a career in this field.