With the passage of time, history is too often forgotten. For this reason, we have decided to name the pair of ospreys that nest at the Marine Sciences Center at the Southampton campus of Stony Brook University after Ral and Mary Welker. Dr. John Ralvan “Ral” Welker (1927-2012) was a marine ecologist who in 1965 founded the marine science program, of what was then, Southampton College of Long Island University. He served as the director of marine operations and research from 1965 to 1993 and during that time the marine science program at Southampton became world renowned. Now operated by Stony Brook University, the marine science program at Southampton is still flourishing some fifty plus years later thanks to the impact Ral and his wife Mary had on the east end. Although Mary now resides in Florida, she continues to inspire us all.

Ral was a major force behind the development and success of the marine science program, and in fact, was the first and longest serving chairman of that department. Throughout the four decades he was at the college, he inspired countless students to follow careers in the marine sciences.

Having served as a member of numerous boards and councils (Trustee of The Nature Conservancy; member of the State of New York’s Attorney General’s Wetlands Task Force; Suffolk County Environmental Quality Council; the Southampton Town Conservation Board; and the Southampton Village Beach Preservation Council), Ral was one of the early voices promoting conservation on the East End.

Ral retired as professor emeritus, marine science-biology in 1993 and was greatly honored to receive the 2004 Long Island University Environmental Leadership Award for his lifelong commitment to Southampton College and its marine science program. He is remembered by former students, coworkers, and friends below, who shared their memories of Ral and Mary during their time Southampton College:

The male osprey “Ral”

“Ral was not only my professor but my mentor, father figure and friend.  As his student, I always wanted to do well so as not to disappoint him.  I felt he had a higher expectation of me than I had of myself.  Years later it was Ral who suggested I apply for a position at the Marine Station…and many happy years followed! My wife Mary Lou taught in Hampton Bays High School with Mary, and they collaborated on several projects marrying art and history.  Many people do not know that Ral was also a watercolor painter and he and Mary Lou used to take classes together on Shelter Island.  He was a natural when it came to painting water and boats!” Bruce Ringers, retired research vessel Captain for Southampton College

“Ral Welker’s drive to create a strong marine science program at Southampton that focused on hands-on experience is what brought me to Long Island for college.  Having had the opportunity to be guided by Ral and others inspired by him led me to love the waters that surround this Island and continually motivate me to pass this love of the marine environment on to my own students.” Tara Rider, Lecturer at SoMAS

“I remember student field trips with Ral back in the 60’s, Ral would always call our attention to rare Osprey sightings. The species was almost decimated due to Suffolk County’s use of DDT. I believe it gave Ral and Mary great pleasure to see the return of this majestic bird. We now have a flourishing Osprey population on the East end, due to the Welker family’s promotion of environmental awareness. I believe it is appropriate to name these birds Ral and Mary who will grace us with their return for many years to come.” Don Getz, retired research vessel Captain for Southampton College

“Although Ral had formally retired from teaching prior to my time as a student at Southampton College, he and Mary were influential forces in not only my college education but as a professional in the field of marine science. Their passion for the environment, and especially teaching, was contagious. I am continuously trying to pass on that same level of enthusiasm to my students.” Chris Paparo, manager of the Marine Sciences Center at SoMAS

“In the spring of 1969, I was invited by Ral Welker, Tom Haresign and Bill Burke to interview for a job in Southampton College’s Marine Science Program. At the time, and to the best of my memory, the Marine Station included a small two-story building (that is still there), a separate aquarium room and a teaching lab.  It was not anywhere near the size and infrastructure now seen, on the same site, at the current Stony Brook Southampton’s Marine Station. Ral, as Director of the Marine Science Program over three decades, was the driving force behind the improvements to the teaching labs and in the acquisition of marine research vessels. Among the academic initiatives that Ral helped to institute was a unique undergraduate course in Marine Operations and Research required for all Marine Science majors in the summer entering their senior year.  Ral, designed a five-week experience that exposed these students to the technical and applied aspects of marine investigations at sea and in the lab.  Students performed synoptic and diurnal studies throughout the South Shore and Peconic Bay Estuary.  This and other marine program experiences produced graduates that have, throughout the years, become distinguished scholars and scientists.  In my opinion, it is this extraordinary production of excellence and Southampton’s national reputation that strongly influenced the decision by the State University of New York to acquire the Southampton campus and continue the excellent standard of scholarship.  Needless to say, my experience within the Marine Science Program developed by Ral, influenced my own teaching style and research. I will forever be grateful. Mary Welker’s warm and welcoming personality is evident to this day. For over 50 years, Mary has been a close friend to my family and to others in the college’s Marine Science community.   My wife and I came to Southampton with a growing family and Mary helped us during those early years.  We knew the Welker boys and have been friends with her daughter, Ann Welker, for as long as I can remember.  All of the Welker kids assumed the grace and good nature of their mom.  Those ospreys (Ral and Mary) have a lot to live up to.” Howard Reisman, Prof. Emeritus of Biology LIU

“I was fortunate enough to work at the Southampton College (LIU) Marine Station in 1981-82. Ral Welker was a constant presence there- coffee in the mornings and beer in the afternoons (at least in the summer). Ral helped me realize that I wanted to stay in marine science and spend more time in the field than at a desk. His gentlemanly demeanor and calm in the face of the things that can happen at a lab with students was why he was so popular but also so well respected. I remember one rainy morning when his 1960’s-era, six-volt positive earth Land Rover stalled on Hill Street in the village. It was my honor to go get him and bring him to work.” Gregg Rivara, Cornell Cooperative Extension (Southampton College class of 1982)

osprey Mary

The female osprey “Mary”

“Ral was the ultimate gentleman and scholar. I met him as a work-study student at the Marine Station from 1988-1991. Ral was always kind, patient, and caring about everyone and everything. One time, there was a delay in my paychecks, I was on an internship and needed the money badly, and Ral made a few calls immediately and resolved the issue. He knew so much about marine ecology and just life in general. He appreciated hard work and attention to detail, but, more importantly, a person’s moral fiber and integrity of the person. I never heard anything negative from Ral. The only way I could tell if he slightly disapproved of something was a slight modification to his smile and a glance aside for a brief moment. I will always remember him as my mentor, role model, and one of the best human beings I ever came across. I can still see him when I close my eyes, stepping out of his Range Rover, lighting his pipe, walking over to the marine station, opening the door, and receiving his cold beer (Friday Happy Hour)….Thank you, Ral. I miss you.” Nikhil Mehta, NOAA Fisheries Biologist

“I was very fortunate to have known and to have worked with Ral for many years at Southampton College. He was not only the driving force behind the creation of the marine science program at Southampton, but he embodied the hands-on, experiential mindset that was so central to what Southampton College was all about. He was a true gentleman and was beloved by his students and peers alike.” Stephen Tettelbach, retired faculty of LIU and current researcher at Cornell Cooperative Extension

“I think back to Limnology class and rowing across Big Fresh Pond. Ral is directing operations by radio from shore and the “crew” is taking water samples, making Secchi Disk measurements and recording depth soundings, all while attempting to maintain a relatively straight course- with limited success. Later, in class, we would use the data collected to create bathymetric maps and graphs. That type of field oriented, hands-on teaching has always appealed to me and I would like to hope that I have inspired the students that I have met along the way. Ral has inspired me to keep creating, doing and learning. Being able to have a part in inspiring a love for learning in others is really the essence of teaching and I give credit to both Ral and Mary Welker for keeping the light on for me.” Melanie Meade, South Fork Natural History Museum

“When I first got to Southampton Ral hired me on as a paid student to work at the Marine Station with Melanie to run the nutrient auto analyzer, which led me to be involved with Marine Ops summer course.  That opportunity really solidified what I wanted to do with my career, and 25+ years later I’m still doing this work all over the world.” Michael Lomas, senior research scientist at Bigelow Lab for Ocean Sciences

“Dr. Welker was so instrumental to the marine program at Southampton College. He was revered by both staff and students. I consider it an honor to have had him as a professor for what I recall as the last marine operations and research class he instructed.” Scott Curatolo-Wagemann, Cornell Cooperative Extension

Osprey Facts

Feeding almost exclusively on fish, ospreys are commonly referred to as fish hawks or sea hawks. Their very specific diet requires that they live within close proximity to open waters such as rivers, lakes, bays or the ocean. With a wingspan of more than five feet, an osprey will soar high above the water, using its keen eyesight to locate prey that is swimming close to the water’s surface. Once prey is located, it hovers above, waiting for an opportune time to strike.  When the time is right, it will tuck its wings and begin a speedy descent toward the water. Moments before impact, the osprey will pull its legs forward and crash feet first into the water. Amazingly, the osprey never takes its eyes off its target, even looking between its legs as it hits the water.

Sharper than a top-of-the-line fishhook, the osprey has a razor-like talon at the end of each of its eight toes. The typical orientation of a hawk’s toes is three facing forward and one facing back on each foot. The positioning of an osprey’s toes is unique. For improved efficiency, they are capable of rotating the outer toe of each foot to the back, letting them get a better hold on slippery fish. The soles of their feet are lined with many small “spikes” that act like a barb on a fishhook, giving the osprey additional gripping power. For improved efficiency, an osprey will carry its prey headfirst, making it more aerodynamic as it flies to a perch with its meal.

Not only are osprey superior anglers, but they are also quite the world travelers, with our local population wintering in the rain forests of Central and South America. With the potential of having a lifespan of 15 to 20 years, it is very possible for an osprey to travel over 150,000 miles in its lifetime.

Although osprey do mate for life, they spend the winter apart, reuniting at the nest site each spring. By mid-March, the first males (recognized by a bright white chest) return to our area to repair any damage that might have occurred to the nests during their absence. Nests are constructed in wide-open locations, close to water, and high enough to protect chicks from ground predators. On Long Island, in addition to man-made nest platforms, I have observed nests built in trees, on telephone poles, radio towers, channel markers and even on top of a duck blind. With each passing year, the pair builds the nest larger. If the base structure is strong enough, the nest has the potential to reach sizes of ten to thirteen feet wide by three to six feet deep.

Once the male’s mate returns, he will begin an elaborate “love dance” in the way of aerial displays in hopes of enticing her to breed. After mating, the female (recognized by a brown “necklace” of chest feathers) will lay a clutch of two to three eggs over a period of several days. She will remain in the nest to incubate the eggs for 34 to 40 days and an additional week to brood the hatchlings. During this time the male is extremely busy, continuously hunting to feed his growing family, while also remaining vigilant against any threats to the nest. Young osprey will leave the nest around eight weeks but will remain close to their parents for several weeks before starting their first migration south.

During the 1950’s to 1970’s, osprey populations dramatically declined due to an insecticide known as DDT. Used to control mosquitoes, DDT initially entered the environment low on the food chain. As DDT contaminated organisms were consumed, the chemical was passed onto the predator and stored within their fatty tissue (a process known as bioaccumulation). As the toxin moved through the food web, the concentration became greater in top predators (a process known as biomagnification). As an apex predator, ospreys were absorbing very high levels of DDT. The outcome of this poisoning was a thinning of their eggshells, which would cause them to be crushed by the female as she incubated them. In 1972, thanks in part to the work of Stony Brook University Professor Emeritus Charles Wurster, the EPA banned the use of DDT, which resulted in a resurgence of this majestic bird of prey.

The osprey platform was a private gift for the Marine Sciences Center at the Southampton campus and was installed during the summer of 2017. That first year we saw no activity at the nest. In 2018, a couple osprey visited the nest, but showed no interest in making it their home. In 2019 a pair arrived during the late spring/early summer and started to build a nest but abandoned it later that summer. In 2020, during the midst of the world COVID-19 shutdown, we had a had a pair finally commit to the nest and they laid three eggs, two of which hatched and fledged. In 2021 the pair returned by the end of March 30 and wasted no time and laid three eggs by early May.

Chris Paparo is the Marine Sciences Center Manager at the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences at Stony Brook University’s Southampton Campus.