img-20150623-wa0007

As a Graduate Research Assistant in Stony Brook University, my research is directed towards the study of Calcium dynamics in the platelets collected from blood plasma, infected by sidestream and main stream smoking in the lab of Dr. David Rubenstein, the graduate program coordinator of the Biomedical Engineering Department in Stony Brook University.

My undergraduate thesis in University College Cork, Ireland was focused in the laboratory of Biochemistry under the guidance of Dr. Paul Young on the topic- Determining the specificity and sensitivity of SeeDNA-A img-20150730-wa0007novel method for bacterial based DNA diagnostics,with an objective to test the specificity and sensitivity of the SeeDNA (designed by the UCCiGEM team 2014) as a bacterial-based detector system, which promises to provide a faster, cheaper and easy-to use DNA diagnostic tool. Designing and execution of the project equipped me with all the virtues of a true researcher, the systemic approach, the research framework, the technical know-how and most importantly, patience and the ability to deal with failures and to learn from them.

Biomedical Engineering- a perfect integration of medicine and technology, having applications in healthcare; gave me a different perspective to learning. This nascent field and its scope for research motivated me to take up an internship at Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences Kolkata, India. My training taught me the procedures for plasma or serum tests in a clinical laboratory in the areas of biochemistry, hematology, immunology and clinical microbiology. It was enriching to observe the real time appliance in the industry and the working of the devices and their mechanisms used in the field of medicine. In order to pursue my interest in biomedical engineering further, I started a mini project-Preparation and characterization of wound dressing material from natural polymers under the supervision of Dr. M. Pandima Devi in SRM University. The objective of the project was to design and prepare a hybrid hydrogel that could act as a wound dressing, based on alginate and keratin along with naturally available aloe Vera. I also did an implant training in Bose Institute, India, in the field of Plant biotechnology and learnt the techniques of molecular biology and r-DNA techniques in my second year of college.

My career aspiration remains to work as a professional in the industrial field of Biomedical engineering. My desires to address biomedical challenges creatively, the urge to learn more and to share my knowledge are perfectly suited to this profession.