We are experiencing an increase in demand from our adult patient population and hope that you are able to make the shift with us.
We have an on going demand for Lap blankets and prayer shawls for many of our units.
The Safe Sleep Initiative throughout the Hospital requires that we can no longer accept newborn baby blankets. We still welcome preemie and newborn hats.
+++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++ ++++
SBU Hospital Units Need:
- Bone Marrow Transplant & Surgical Oncology Departments – Adult Patients need lap size quilts, soft prayer shawls.
- Child Life Services – larger blankets (ages 5-21).
- Department of Spiritual Care:
- for prayer shawls for the oncology patients at the hospital.
- white preemie, newborn and larger infant blankets for Christenings that held at the hospital.
- End of Care Unit – Afghans of all sizes.
- Inpatient Child Psychiatry – children’s afghans for ages 6 – 12.
- Labor & Delivery, Mother & Baby, & Ante-Partum Departments:
- new born baby hats (all sizes).
- infant demise wraps (in stillborn thru full term sizes) and memory pouches. (See Patterns Section)
- Medical Oncology Department – has started a White Rose Program for end of life patients and want blankets for their patients.
- NICU – Will accept quilts to put over the isolettes . The isolettes are later given to the parents to take home at discharge.
- Oncology & Dialysis Departments – Lap blankets, prayer shawls, and Afghans.
- Pediatrics/In-patient Child Psych – soft quilts & pillow cases for their beds.
- The NICHE Program – larger adult size afghans and lap blankets to give out to patients, especially for our older patients. We also like to give blankets to patients who don’t get any visitors as a way of providing a little something to let them know that they are thought of and cared for. The Director is hoping we can support this request and anticipates needing approximately 20 blankets a month.
Isolates: 36″ x 40″
Lap blankets are rectangular in shape, generally 35″ by 40″. Adult colors are requested.
Afghans are rectangular in shape, generally 50″ by 65″. Young adult and adult colors are requested.
Prayer shawls can be made in a variety of sizes. Rectangular, triangular, or use your imagination. Here are some web links to get you started:
All donated handcrafted items must be new. We cannot accept any used or old items. Our patients immune systems cannot be compromised in any way.
For delivery of your projects contact: