IMPORTANT MESSAGE: May 24, 2020  Effective immediately, Senior Hospital Administration has asked us to stop making the surgical masks at this time. The Hospital has started receiving regular deliveries of PPE. Please know that any masks delivered to us will be delivered to the Hospital.  Senior Administration would like us to let you know how grateful they are for your commitment to helping the hospital staff at a critical time. Email notification will be sent out soon with more details. Thank you for a job well done.

ATTENTION: THIS IS THE STONY BROOK HOSPITAL-APPROVED MASK STYLE

PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW ANY OTHER DIRECTIONS OR STYLES AS THE HOSPITAL MAY NOT ACCEPT THEM.  The material or mask do not need to be cleaned.  The Hospital will be sending for professional cleaning and will be packaged.

MATERIALS NEEDED
You will need fabric for the front and fabric for lining. NOTE: if you do not have white fabric for the lining you can use the same fabric and use it with the inside out.  This is needed so that the user always uses the inside of the mask to the face.

Fabric for front of mask. This fabric can be any Cotton or cotton blends such as
Cotton/polyester and can be with prints or solids.

Fabric for Inside of mask: This fabric white white cotton or cotton blends such as
Cotton/Polyester.  Preferably white but any solid color will do. Backing for quilts would be perfect.

Elastic: Elastic needs to be ¼ inch wide elastic. Two pieces 20” each for Adults  and 15″ for Children (will be provided for you)

TEMPLATES/PATTERNS FOR CUTTING THE MASK

Click HERE for adult size to open and print the mask pattern  Click HERE for children

EMAIL maryann.russo@stonybrook.edu If you have any questions regarding these instructions.

She can arrange to work with you via zoom or phone, if necessary.

Full instructions are beneath this video.

CUTTING THE MASK

Cut the Front of Mask
1. Place the fabric for the front of the mask with right side in.
2. Place the pattern on the fabric and cut around the black line of pattern.

Cut the inside of the Mask
1. Place the fabric for the inside of masks with right side in.
2. Place the pattern on the fabric and cut around the  black line of pattern

SEWING THE MASK
1. Sew the two pieces of the front of the mask together at the top (round)

2. Do the same for the lining

3. Open the Front of Mask, open the lining and put one over the other with right sides facing each other and stitch across

4. Cut slits at top to make fall easier when topstitched

5. Open what you have just sewn together and topstitch across the front and lining of mask to look like the picture below (The topstiching will help it fall easier when you stitch the pockets.)

6. Top Stitch on the lining part of the mask

7. Turn the mask upside down with wrong side up and fold the two ends then sew a ¼ inch stitch

8. Place the mask with right side face up and fold to match the two ends and stitch together a ½ inch stitch, see the end of the mask in picture below

9. Turn the mask inside out and with right side up, stitch pockets for elastic on top and bottom to fit elastic through

10. Here is the finished mask.

Now insert elastic in Both Pockets and tie a slip knot.  See video below for instructions (Only elastic has to be used. This mask has been approved by a team of Drs and CEO’s.  Changes can only be approved by them)

Click on below link to download and open video on how to create a slip tie in elastic

https://you.stonybrook.edu/stonybrookstitchers/files/2020/04/IMG_8027.mov

Video Instructions for tying a slip knot kindly provided by:

Callias Zeng
Pronouns: they/them/theirs
LGBTQ* Services Undergraduate Intern
Sociology; Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Major

If you need material and/or elastic OR have masks ready to donate, please complete this Google Form.

29 thoughts on “COVID 19 SBU Approved Hospital Mask Pattern – Please read important message

1. What are the measurements for the fabrics? Are we limited to using only elastic or can we use fabric ties? Thank you.

• Please send me the measurements for the mask. Thank you.
      Debbie Sullivan

• The first page of the website has the instructions and video. Look for the section COVID 19 SBU Approved Hospital Mask Pattern. You will find instructions and a video.
        Delivery instructions are in the next section on the website.

• please send measurements for mask in order to make a pattern.

2. I cannot print the pattern correctly based on the fact that the seam allowance is not 1/2”.

3. The mask I made is exactly like yours except mine has ties, can be made in different sizes and no elastic! Extremely comfortable! Check out FU mask from the Netherlands ! I used cotton twill tape for ties, they can also be made from fabric The fit is great check it out, nurses are already complainingredients about elastic! Let me know ! I have samples

4. I have a machine. I live in east setauket. I need supplies and I will make masks. My cell 631-742-1745

5. Was at SBU this morning. Couldn’t find the office for volunteers’ mask making. I need the elastic.

6. Thanks for the awesome video.
    The mask pattern I just printed it larger than the previous one.
    I don’t know that it’s my printer, but this one conforms to the size
    as seen on the inch gridded surface of the video, so many thanks.

7. I want to help. Just send me the materials and I will do it.
    Ana Coreas

8. Hi Jan, I’m going to try making some masks tonight. Let me know if you have any elastic to share. Otherwise I’ll try and order online. -Christine

• Hi Christine,
      I expect a delivery of elastic today. I’ll get back to you.
      Keep sewing 🙂
      Much love,
      Jan

9. Thank you for this pattern. I am a Nurse in NC. We get a surgical mask at work, that has to last for the week. I need to sew one for when I go grocery shopping. I don’t have a sewing machine, but I can hand sew. I have off a few days, so this will be one of my projects.
    I am a native New Yorker and a graduate of SUNY Plattsburgh. Appreciate all you are doing.
    Sincerely,
    Diana Kienle Eubanks

10. Hello Jan! My name is Leslie DeMarco I have been a SB stitcher for years I deal with Melissa in the hospital. I have lots of required fabric and can sew. I am currently looking for my roll of elastic and will start making masks. I heard about this need from Maryann in the nursing office. I will get to work today!

• Hi Leslie,
      Thank you so much for getting in touch with us. We can really use your help. Check the site for delivery instructions. I will update your contact information on our volunteer list.
      Jan

11. I have masks for when the delivery instructions are posted but would like to know if you want the children’s surgical caps at this time also. Or would you prefer I hold on to them until after this emergency?

• Hi Judy
      We still need the children’s surgical caps. It has taken such tremendous effort to get the surgical caps project up and running that we haven’t mentioned anything else. If you have the wherewithall to make the surgical caps, we would really appreciate it. The children love them. More importantly, these can be professionally cleaned by the hospital.
      Thank you so much for all that you do,
      Jan

• Hi Judy
      Thank you so much for all that you do,
      Jan

• I have about 30 of the same style masks but with ties instead of elastic. Will they be used or just discarded at the hospital if I donate them?

I am making a bunch with elastic now which I will drop off on Tuesday.

12. I can make masks and/or surgical caps. Where do I get a pattern and instructions for the surgical caps?
    Joann Fabric store advertises that they are donating supplies to make masks. I will try that later today.

• The instructions are on the first page of the site. Look for the COVID 19 approved patter for surgical masks. You will find instructions and a video. The next section has delivery instructions.

13. Hi! I currently have about 30 masks completed but I still need elastic. Please let me know if this is possible!! I filled out the google form.

14. Hello. I am a member of your group. My friend is a costume designer. She would like to know if you need surgical gowns. She and her other friends have already made over 100 scrub caps for the Stony Brook hospital in Southampton.

15. Thank you Callais Zeng for the instructions for a slipknot tie; so easy and I can see how it would be so helpful for the wearer . You aced it; I recommend everyone look at it!