Celebrating the Achievements of Professor Iwao Ojima On the Occasion of His 70th Birthday
“Chemical Synthesis in Life Sciences”
June 5-6, 2015, Charles B. Wang Center,Stony Brook University
On June 5, 2015 Professor Iwao Ojima will be celebrating his 70th Birthday. In honor of the occasion, the Ojima Laboratory alumni are organizing a two-day symposium at Stony Brook University on June 5 and 6, 2015.
Dr. Iwao Ojima received his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. (1973) degrees from the University of Tokyo, Japan. He joined the Sagami Institute of Chemical Research and held a position of Senior Research Fellow until 1983. He joined the faculty at the Department of Chemistry, State University of New York at Stony Brook first as Associate Professor (1983), was promoted to Professor (1984), Leading Professor (1991), and then to Distinguished Professor (1995). He served as the Department Chairman from 1997 to 2003. He has been serving as the founding Director for the Institute of Chemical Biology and Drug Discovery (ICB&DD) from 2003. He has a wide range of research interests in synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry as well as chemical biology, including discovery and development of anticancer agents and antimicrobials, targeted drug delivery, catalytic methodologies and asymmetric synthesis. His awards and honors include Arthur C. Cope Scholar Award (1994), E. B. Hershberg Award for Important Discoveries of Medicinally Active Substances (2001), the Medicinal Chemistry Hall of Fame (2006), ACS Award for Creative Work in Fluorine Chemistry (2013) from the American Chemical Society; The Chemical Society of Japan Award (1999); Outstanding Inventor Award (2002) from the Research Foundation of the State University of New York; Fellows of J. S. Guggenheim Memorial Foundation (1995), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (1997), The New York Academy of Sciences (2000), the American Chemical Society (2010), and the National Academy of Inventors (2014).
SB Symposium Organizing Committee
- Michael Miller, Ph.D. (postdoc 1998-2000)
- Thierry Brigaud, Ph.D. (postdoc 1990-1991)
- Scott D. Kuduk, Ph.D. (B.S. 1992, Ph.D.1996)
- Leila Abrous , Ph.D. (B.S. 1995)
- Deric Geng, Ph.D. (Ph.D. 2002)
- Bruno Chapsal, Ph.D. (Ph.D. 2005)
- Antonella Pepe, Ph.D. (Ph.D. 2005)
- Jin Chen, Ph.D. (Ph.D. 2006)
- Roxanne Brockner (ICB&DD)
- Patricia Marinaccio (Executive Secretary, B.A. 1964)
- Makoto Fujita (Univ. of Tokyo, Japan)
- Masahiro Murakami (Kyoto Univ. Japan)
- Scott Kuduk (Novira Therapeutics, USA), (SBU ’92, ’96)
- Songniang Lin (Merck Research Lab., USA)
- Stephan Brandstadter (DuPont, USA)
Keynote and Invited Speakers
- Thierry Brigaud (Univ. Cergy-Pontoise, France)
- Subrata Chakravarty (Atherton Health, USA)
- Hauh-Jyun Chen (Nat. Chung Cheng Univ., Taiwan)
- Elizabeth Cormier (Food & Drug Admin., USA)
- Louis Fensterbank (Univ. Pierre & Marie Curie, France)
- Masaki Fujiwara (Central Glass Co., Japan)
- Bibia Heidmann (Actelion Pharm., Switzerland)
- Tadashi Honda (Stony Brook Univ., USA)
- Michael Miller (ImmunoGen Inc., USA)
- Elke Schoffers (Western Michigan Univ., USA)
- Vadim Soloshonok (Univ. Ikerbask, Spain)
- Claude Commandeur (Selvita, S. A., Poland)
- Wen-Hua Chiou (Nat. Chung Hsing Univ., Taiwan)
- Masakatsu Eguchi (Theliac Pharm., USA)
- Deric Geng (WilmerHale LLP, USA)
- Zihao Hua (Amgen, USA)
- Koji Kato (Tosoh F-Tech, Japan)
- Jin Chen (Kimberly-Clark, USA)
- Cecilia Fumero Oderda (Clinical Project Manager, Italy)
- Chung-Ming Sun (Nat. Chiao Tung Univ., Taiwan)
- Greta Varchi (NRC-ISOF-Bologna, Italy)
- An Vu (FDA, USA)
- Tao Wang (Biogen Idec, USA)
- Matthew Zhao (Lexicon, USA)
- Immunogen, Inc.
- Crystal Brook M. I.
- Central Glass Co. Ltd.
- Kimberly-Clark Corp.
- Merck Research Laboratories
- Cytokinetics, Inc.
- Ajinomoto Pharmaceuticals Co.
- Hamari Chemicals Ltd.
- Tosoh F-Tech
- Fujian Yew Park Biological Co. Ltd.
- WilmerHale LLP
- Reata Pharmaceuticals