After a stressful day of studying and countless exams [Ed: Um, there were only 2.], the professors informed everyone that we would all be rewarded with our first field trip. The day began with an 8 am wakeup call from the symphony of my roommates’ alarms, which was an early start to a very adventurous day. Today was our first excursion to Dunn’s River Falls and Ocho Rios, both of which were spectacular. Dunn’s River Falls had a cascading flow of water down a crevice filled mountain. The climb was invigorating, the water was bitter, and I am sure I will be waking up with countless bruises on my legs tomorrow morning. Let’s just say that one should search the water for all rocks before stepping in, especially when there is an entire tour group behind you.

Next, the city of Ocho Rios was explored. Groups were made, and everyone ventured off, mostly to eat and rummage around the shops. I first ventured to the bank to switch American money in for Jamaican money. This was an experience in itself, the bank was very different and the system took quite some time. But, after the money was received, I was off to find food! My small group consisted of Kayla, Melanie, Jean, and myself. We were shortly found by other classmates at the crowded restaurant, Margaritaville, where loud music and dancing was the major focus. A large cruise ship was stationed right off the beach, next to the restaurant, and the passengers put on quite a talent show for all to see. Some colorful acts caught my eye, including some outrageous moves from an older gentleman who wasn’t afraid to ‘shake his groove thing’ to some reggae music, and the restaurant employees didn’t seem to mind his alluring bum shaking either. Lastly, I ended my trip to Ocho Rios with some ice cream; I consumed a delicious pistachio and chocolate mass with hot fudge, and to top it all off, my experience would not have been complete without the interesting comments and remarks made by locals. I somehow got talked into receiving a hair braiding; where the woman basically told me that I needed it, and without time for me to say no thank you, she began her craft. I figured that I was stuck paying for one braid by that. After this experience I am only looking forward to the upcoming excursions we have in store, as well as the fact that our projects at Discovery Bay Marine Lab are starting very soon.  

-Nicole Laible

Blog photo #2
Random building in Ocho Rios. 

One thought on “