17 Jan AM – The real Jamaican patty.

Today was our field trip day to Ochos Rios and Dunn’s falls and get some of our Touristy needs out of our systems. Climbing the falls was a great and walking around town was fun, but in reality I couldn’t escape the idea that walking around the pseudo-town that lives and breathes solely for the luxuries and fantasies of the tourist’s island dream. I needed to find something that was innately Jamaican – somewhere where the locals went and that the locals appreciated. Thankfully, Richard came to the rescue with a brilliant piece of research and foresight! Richard had thought to ask one of the dive masters at the Marine Lab, a bona fide born-and-raised Jamaican, where to find the most quintessential Jamaican food item to Stony Brook night time snackers: the Jamacian Beef Patty.

Snow had told us to go to a place called Mother’s Patties. I got the cheese and beef patty and yes, it was deeeeeeeelicious. Roxanne, Lucia, Richie and I all had to sit around trying to cool off the fresh patty for a good before eating it but it was oh so worth it.

Emily_Patties
It’s $100JA to the $1US, don’t worry!

– Emily

4 thoughts on “17 Jan AM – The real Jamaican patty.

1. When I first saw this picture, I panicked thinking we didn’t give TJ (Taylor to her friends) nearly enough money . Thanks for explaining after the conversion factor. Whew!

2. Glad you did that. When I vacation, I am with you-talk to the locals and find out what the locals do.