15 Jan 2019 – It’s a great day to dive!

Yesterday on the 15th I was trying to take it easy in the water and hit the books to work on studying and some assignments we have in our last few days in Discovery Bay. That didn’t last long…. Hesitant at first to go on a dive, Professor Peterson reminded me to have some fun and that I wouldn’t regret going out on the boat- and he wasn’t wrong! On the way to explore a new dive site we rode through a school of flying fish. Although I don’t have any pictures of the experience, I can only explain it as I thought it was a bunch of birds gliding along the water. The flying fish can glide very far, and their “wings” actually resemble a birds fairly well.

I didn’t spot any flying fish underwater, but 40 feet below rather I saw a large diversity of other fish and was not disappointed. One fish I haven’t seen before yesterday was called a “chub” (Kyphosus sectatrix) and they were very friendly. Once they saw a group of us divers they schooled around us and swam side by side with me and my dive buddies. I assume they believed we were large predators and they’d get scraps from us, but they stayed with us nonetheless when they didn’t get any food.

A picture my friend, Siobhan, took of me with a school of Chubs.

After finding an arrow crab (Stenorhynchus seticornis), my dive buddies and I took turns passing him around. Seemingly content with being handled we took some pictures. Arrow crabs are one of the few species of crabs I don’t mind handling because their pinchers are too small to cause any damage. They are often smaller and blend in really well to the rocks and crevices, so spotting one is always fun.

Siobhan is great at taking pictures of us all while diving and captured another great sot of me holding my arrow crab friend.

After the dive we headed back to the boat, all in great spirits! Siobhan was taking a picture of me at the surface with a beautiful resort behind me, but I got photobombed by Professor Peterson as he was snorkeling by. I won’t complain- it’s not everyday someone gets to go diving with and photobombed by their professor snorkeling by!

Professor Peterson photobombing my surface picture after a great dive.

– Kayla

2 thoughts on “15 Jan 2019 – It’s a great day to dive!

1. Yes, it’s a very interesting story. I myself really like to rest on the sea like that. But it is very important to find a good hotel that will meet all the requirements and wishes, because, as it is only once a year you can afford a vacation and want to spend it unforgettable. So I read reviews about hotels, such as silverleaf resorts reviews and it helped me to decide. Therefore, in order to rest was not spoiled I recommend to do the same.