09 Jan – Jamaica Got Talent

Hey guys, this is Apple/Arugula. When I left New York there was snow on the ground and now I find myself in this 80° Jamaican weather. Everything is so green and beautiful here.

The Discovery Bay Marine Lab we are staying at.

I came a couple days later than everyone, so my first days were a bit hectic as I learned what everything is called and what not to touch. I finally went night snorkeling for the first time yesterday, we found a couple octopuses and a sting ray. While everyone was scuba diving Joe shot a lionfish [Ed: an invasive species here that the government encourages us to hunt.] with his spear. When they got back to the lab, he cut the lionfish open and showed us its last meal.

Joe cutting the lionfish open.

Other than our normal schedule of snorkeling/diving and lectures we also find ourselves doing flips, splits, and handstands.

Jeff shocking everyone with his split.

• Ariadne

4 thoughts on “09 Jan – Jamaica Got Talent

1. Ahhh it makes me so happy to see you studying marine biology in Jamaica!! I remember being at the beach when you were a youngeon and I pretended to move the waves back and forth with my arms as they crashed into the rocks— you were so entranced by my “magic abilities”, but I told you over and over that you wouldn’t come into your own powers until you turned six. Every year you got more and more excited to approach your “magic age.” It’s unfortunate that when you hit six, the wizards of the realm changed the power-inheritance laws to twelve. You know, kind of like when they raised the drinking age a few years back? Poor girl didn’t know for so long that I was just being a terrible older brother. (If you still haven’t figured it out, I don’t have, nor have I ever had magic powers). Glad you’re finding your own version of marine magic while studying abroad 🙂

2. Wow! Sounds so exciting! You’ve come a long way since doing the dog paddle for the first 12 years of your life. You should have gone to Jamaica sooner!

3. Wow I get to see these pictures in a blog post now instead of the living blog that is your snapchat! I know you said the weather was very different, but yesterday NY temps almost hit 70 (you’re still somewhere wayyy prettier). It seems like you’ve really… found your FINS in Jamaica (laugh here) including the fins of some other vertebrates. I showed my parents your lion fish and they were very excited. Enjoy your warm, tropical days with all the whimsy and wonderment you can muster. I look forward to enjoying the mundanity of dorm life with you back in the less-than-stunning, totally-not-Jamaica Stony Brook campus 😀