10 Jan – I forgot to give a title for my blog post.

Hi hi! This is Mango! Yesterday, January 9, we went to Ocho Rios! It was a really fun experience and a lot more different than I expected. It took us around 45 minutes to get there by bus. Upon arrival, it looked like a water park themed place with a lot to do: climbing the falls, an aerial obstacle course, walking around and watching people climb up the falls (there are entrances and exits along the fall where there are seats to watch people climb or for climbers who want to take a break).

I will say, I did not expect to actually climb up a waterfall. I thought we’d be hiking near/next to the waterfall and occasionally have to go in it, but never in a million years would I have expected to push and actually go through the waterfall. Granted, it wasn’t too difficult throughout the whole time (there were parts with a pool for you to relax and wait in), but there were some parts that were difficult (especially if there weren’t legitimate foot holders for you to climb up). Even though I fell down a couple of times, I think it was one of the best experiences I’ve had my time here. It was super fun, and it was a nice change that I was subconsciously ingesting freshwater instead of saltwater (it didn’t make my stomach feel super weird afterwards).

After scaling the waterfall, we went into the town of Ocho Rios and had lunch there. I had the curry goat at Cedella Marley Booker’s Smilin’ Island with Arugula Ariadne, Juice John, Nigiri Nancy, Raspberry Ryan, Salad Sandra, and Sandwich Sam. I really enjoyed the food; it was super flavourful and we all had a great time!

This is the curry goat that I ordered! Would definitely get it again.

After lunch, we walked back from the restaurant and saw a lot of shops on the main road. We went to the supermarket and got some Jamaican goods (I got the Pickapeppa sauce collection, Ariadne got Ting which is described as a grapefruit flavoured Sprite, and John got these sponge cakes filled with an orange flavoured cream). On the next block was the crafts market where I practiced my haggling skills to acquire souvenirs for my friends and family; I got key chains, magnets, clothes and accessories for them. Hopefully they’ll like it!

-Michelle

One thought on “10 Jan – I forgot to give a title for my blog post.