Course FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: Where will be be going?
A:We will be staying at and working at Discovery Bay Marine Laboratory of the University of the West Indies, Center for Marine Sciences in Mona, Jamaica.

Q: What will we be doing?
A: Attending lectures and doing field and laboratory experiments to explore the ecology of a tropical coral reef environment.

Q: How many credits will I receive?
A: All students succesfully completeing course requirements will receive 4 credits.

Q: How much will it cost?
A: Including airfare, lodging, meals and 4 credits, site fees and dive fees current estimation of total cost is approximately $4,500 (NY residents) or $6,600 (out of state). Frequent flier miles may be used to defray part of the travel cost.

Q: Do I have to know how to SCUBA dive?
A: No. You can work on a non-SCUBA project, or take SCUBA lessons on-site at your own cost.

Q: Will I need vaccinations?
A: No special vaccinations are required for Jamaica.The CDC recommends that all persons travelling the Carribean be up to date for all routine vaccinations.

Q. Do I need a passport?
A. Yes, and passport applications can take up to 6 weeks to process. If you are seriously considering this course and do not have a valid passport, you should begin the application process.

Q. Do I have to be a Marine Science major to go?
A. No. Although preference is given to Marine Science and Biology majors.