WGSS@SBU TV!

Along with this blog, we have also created a WGSS@StonyBrook YouTube channel. This will allow us to post videos for #WGSSGraduation2020 and more. I’ve posted a to kick off this new space of celebration, love, and hope.

I also read a brief excerpt from Sara Ahmed’s Living a Feminist Life. These are the words I read:

“Feminism is homework. When I use the word homework, I think first of being at school; I think of being given an assignment by a teacher to take home. I think of sitting down at the kitchen table and doing that work, before I am allowed to play. Homework is quite simply work you are asked to do when you are at home, usually assigned by those with authority outside the home. When feminism is understood as homework, it is not as an assignment you have been given as a teacher, even though you have feminist teachers. If feminism is an assignment, it is a self-assignment. We give ourselves this task. By homework, I am not suggesting we all feel at home in feminism in the sense of feeling safe or secure. Some of us might find a home here; some of us might not. Rather, I am suggesting feminism is homework because we have much to work out from not being at home in a world. In other words, homework is work on as well as at our homes. We do housework. Feminist housework does not simply clean and maintain a house. Feminist housework aims to transform the house, to rebuild the master’s residence.” (7)