A message of feminist solidarity to the WGSS class of 2020 from doctoral students Annu Daftuar & Val Moyer

We, Annu Daftuar and Val Moyer, would like to congratulate the WGSS class of 2020!

We started our PhD at Stony Brook in 2016, at the same time as these graduating seniors, so we have been with this group as TAs and instructors throughout their undergraduate career. These quotes resonate deeply with our own feminist worldviews and we wanted to share them with the amazing graduating cohorts as a sign of our feminist solidarity. Congratulations!

Image description: Two handwritten quotes on bright, floral backgrounds. One reads: “If I didn’t define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people’s fantasies for me and be eaten alive” by Audre Lorde. The other is: “I tell my students, ‘When you get these jobs you have been so brilliantly trained for, just remember that your real job is that if you are free, you need to free somebody else. If you have some power, then your job is to empower somebody else.'” by Toni Morrison.