WGSS@SBU Graduation Mixtape #2

What began as a tool to bring together WGSS staff, students, and alumni during the pandemic will continue! The WGSS department will be sharing a song or songs that embody all of their hard work this semester, as well as creating our own graduation soundtrack! #WGSSGraduation2022

Cassandra Skolnick

“I am selecting the song, Unstoppable by Sia, because it has been my theme song and source of empowerment throughout my undergraduate career. I have experienced many obstacles, from discrimination to an emergency health scare…and throughout, “I put my armor on, show you how strong I am.” I refuse to let anything stop me from achieving my goal of earning my undergraduate degree and dedicating it to my family and professors who supported me on my journey.”

“Keeping to the theme of women’s empowerment, Kalie Shorr delivers powerful lines that resonate strongly with me; “…I might fall down but I get back up, I shine brightest when the going’s tough.” It is another song that has made my Spotify “On Repeat” playlist. We must remember that as feminists, we are challenging power hierarchies that are not going to relinquish their power willingly; they are going to obstruct our progress. And, to those individuals who stand in my way and try to hold me back, just know… ‘I got my high heels on with my boxing gloves, I can knock you out with a one-two punch’.”

Cristina Khan

MaryJo Bona

One of her favorite Janelle Monáe songs!

Galia Cozzi Berrondo

“This song is all about love and care! It always helps to ground me and remind me about the people that I love around me.”

“To be completely honest, this is the song I have been listening to lately when I get very anxious and it helps a lot. It is also a throw-back to my puberty.”

“I just love this song!”

Angelina Zingariello

“This song has always had a special place in my heart. Throughout the years I have constantly discovered new things about myself; this song reminds me I do not have to be anyone’s idea of what I should be.”

Jackie Donnelly

“This was an especially tough year for me, and hearing this song for the first time (released in 2021) hit close to home. A bittersweet song that captures a year of many lows, but also gives a sense of hope for better days ahead.  And who isn’t soothed by Brandi Carlile’s amazing harmonies? ❤”

“The Kennedy Center Honors this year celebrated Joni Mitchell. My mom and I watched this on Christmas Day together and we were dancing and singing along while we listened to this amazing compilation of some of her most memorable songs. So, so good!”