Terms of Service
SB You is a service that provides personal web space (known as “you.stonybrook.edu” or SB You) to Stony Brook faculty, staff, and students to support their professional and educational activities at Stony Brook University. This Service is provided to you free of charge, contingent upon your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. Your use of the Service is voluntary. You must agree to follow acceptable usage responsibilities which may be updated from time to time, and you must accept responsibility to preserve the security and confidentiality of information that you post, share, or access before an account in SB You service is provisioned for you. That account may be revoked at any time at the discretion of Stony Brook University.
By creating a site, you agree that you are solely responsible for the content you create. Neither the content of your site, nor the links to other web sites, are screened, approved, reviewed or endorsed by Stony Brook University. The text and other material on your site are the opinion of the specific author and are not statements of advice, opinion, or information of Stony Brook University. Aliases can be revoked if they do not follow University standards. SB You is not acceptable for any institutional data classified as “restricted” (with the exception of FERPA). Posting content that is not your own could be in direct violation of copyright.
You agree to:
- Understand responsibilities as related to the appropriate safeguards to protect information. See Network Security - D102
- Understand the policy provides guidance for establishing responsibilities and limitations associated with the use of university computing resources. See Appropriate Use of Information Technology - P109.
- Use the SB You service appropriately and responsibly as noted above.
- Periodically review your security and sharing settings, ensuring that university information is shared only with intended audiences. Adhere to established university-wide and departmental policies and guidelines.
- Understand that eligibility to use the SB You service is based on current affiliation with the university.
- Indemnify, and save and hold harmless Stony Brook University, its Board of Trustees, officers, agents, and employees (collectively “SBU”) from and against any and all claims, demands, actions, or causes of actions and costs of any nature or character, including attorney fees, arising from your acts or omissions in connection with your use of the Service, or your failure to comply with these terms and conditions, except where the claims, demands, actions, or causes of actions are solely the result of the gross negligence or wanton misconduct of SBU.
- Stony Brook University shall not be liable for any delay or failure to carry or make timely Services available form any reason, including without limitation restrictions of law or regulations, labor disputes, acts of God, acts of terrorism or war, telecommunications, network or power failures or interruptions, or mechanical or electronic breakdowns.
Failure to comply with Stony Brook University information and IT policies may result in sanctions relating to the individual’s use of IT resources (such as suspension or termination of access, or removal of online material); to the individual’s employment (up to and including immediate termination of employment); to the individual’s studies within the university (such as student discipline in accordance with applicable university policy); civil or criminal liability; or any combination of these.
Use of the SB You service indicates acceptance of these terms.