PechaKucha Photography Research Project

As the son of Jewish refugees, Willy Ronis kept a positive perspective on the story of Paris by taking

extraordinary photographs. As a socialist, he showed the normal life of the working classes. In his early photographs, depression and tension are stronger. However, in his post-world war II photos, we can clearly feel the warm and soft sunlight. His photographs are shockless, but gentle. He used his cameras recording the beautiful moments one by one.

In his photography, the combination of light and shadow draws my attention. The composition of his photography works is not characteristic, which are composed without too much involvement of geometry. Nevertheless, the good using of light helped his photos to be readable. In a gloom environment, a source of light catches my eye. I began to feel the insight of the hearts of the people in these pictures, and even started to speculate their stories. The light lazily spreads on characters’ head and face. It helps me to forget the circumstance of post world war II.