About Me

Hello Readers!

Welcome to my blog.  By way of an introduction, I would describe myself as a dedicated information security professional who tries really hard to do things the right way on the first try (if at all possible)!  I find satisfaction in seeing tangible results after careful analysis.  I especially enjoy collaborating with the various talented groups and individuals throughout SB.

Prior to working at the University, I spent about 7 years working in Systems Administration (Windows, VMware, AD, Citrix, etc.) and 2 years prior to that as part of Client Support, both positions being at Stony Brook Hospital.  Before that, I worked at Computer Associates and a dot-com startup called TechSmart.  So, professionally speaking I have been on several adventures, yet the fun has just begun!

–>Goal 1:  See the Big Picture
The ability to understand how IT solutions align with the business is a key component of developing a viable information security program.  This challenge is one of the most enjoyable components of working within this field.  Drawing on previous experience working within a corporation, medical center, and university has proved valuable.  Information security broadly encompasses every aspect of IT, so working as a support professional in different business types has prepared me for this challenge.

–>Goal 2:  Demonstrate Results
Rather than relying solely on instinct and past experiences, I evaluate each circumstance based on facts and the information currently available.  Information security entails more than simply avoiding catastrophe.  Risk should be minimized and that decrease in risk can be proven by means of documentation, statistics and aligning actions with industry best practices.

–>Goal 3:  Stay Progressive
Staying up to date on the latest threats and technologies is vital to success in formulating a solid defense.  With that truth in mind, one of my goals is to never stop learning and sharing the knowledge and experience I have acquired throughout my career.  I find the path to industry certifications as a valuable study tool and for that reason I hold several certs (CISSP, MCITP/MCSE, Project +, A+, a few others).

–>Concluding Remarks:  Collaborate
Collaboration is a key component of IT in general, but absolutely necessary when it comes to IT and information security.  Feel free to reach out to me if you would like my perspective on a matter or to hear about my experience with a particular project or technology.  It is my hope that you will welcome my inquiries as well.

Sincerely,

Matthew Nappi (Information Security Analyst at SB)

One thought on “About Me

1. In the realm of Information Security, safeguarding digital assets is paramount. As organizations increasingly rely on interconnected systems, understanding and mitigating the risk in cyber security becomes crucial. The dynamic landscape of technology demands vigilant measures to protect sensitive data from cyber threats. Recognizing potential vulnerabilities and implementing robust security protocols are essential in thwarting unauthorized access and data breaches. Navigating the complex terrain of information security requires a proactive approach, staying abreast of evolving risks to fortify defenses and ensure the integrity of digital ecosystems.