Luis Medina

September 22, 2018 –WANTED! Oxygen

Luis Medina, Stony Brook University. You may have heard of “dead zones” in the ocean, but what does this mean? Meet with local scientist and find out why the ocean is running out of oxygen, what areas this is happening to and the potential impacts on your favorite marine organisms!

Interviewing Luis

Where did you go to school?

My name is Luis Ernesto Medina Faull and I am a marine biologist from Venezuela. I obtained a Master’s degree in Oceanography at the Oriente University (Venezuela) and graduated from the Center of Excellence in Observational Oceanography at the Bermuda Institute of Ocean Science (Bermuda). Currently, I am PhD student in the Marine Sciences track, at SoMAS, Stony Brook University, working at the Marine Microbial Ecology Lab.

What is your area of research?

I am interested in the roles of the autotrophic and heterotrophic organism in the structure and function of the oceanic food web and how these groups can affect carbon fluxes within the different layers of the water column. In this sense, it is crucial to understand the microbial community structure and function.

Who or what inspired you to become involved in marine science?

I grew up with the ocean as my neighbor. I have considered myself a truly passionate person for the sea since I was a child. Coincidentally, in high school an aptitude test showed my skills to be that of a marine biologist. I first realized that passion when I participated in a field trip in a small boat and almost everyone was seasick, while I was able to enjoy the work. At that point, I started to get involved in several activities related to the ocean, like the scuba diving club and spear gun fishing club. I also volunteered for several groups in the field of beach and marine animal conservation.

What qualities do you think are important in order to become a scientist?

I will say, curiosity and passion.
Be curious about the world around you and have passion to put that curiosity to work.

Why is your research topic important?

Biochemical transformations are largely controlled by marine biota, particularly at small
spatial scales, but often have huge global implications. Deciphering these small-scale
interactions between plankton and their environment is both fascinating and important to
understanding global biogeochemistry.

What will you be bringing with you to the “meet with an Oceanographer” day?

During my career, I have the opportunity to experience different aspects of oceanography (field work, lab work, and data analyses). I think it will be a perfect time to share all that experience with people that are also passionate about the sea.

What is the best advice you have for people interested in becoming involved in your field of research or in marine sciences?

Be ready to get wet and dirty.

What is your favorite ocean organism?

The copepods, small zooplankton. They look like an alien, but they live in our oceans.

Want to learn more about Luis?

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Luis_Medina26