Sustainability Studies Program alumna Shameika Hanson needs YOUR help!

Dear Students and Alumni,

My name is Shameika Hanson I am the Volunteer Coordinator at Hudson River Sloop Clearwater (a New York-based environmental action and education organization), as well as a Stony Brook University Sustainability Studies Program alumna, class of 2014.

Upon graduating last summer, I was stressed trying to figure out what I would do next. At the urging of Dr. Heidi Hutner, I attended Clearwater’s Great Hudson River Revival at Croton-Point Park in Croton-on-Hudson, New York, with another Stony Brook friend in tow.

We spent the weekend camping, volunteering, eating food until we felt we’d burst, and listening to various types of music. It was at Clearwater’s Great Hudson River Revival that my friend and I kayaked for the first time in our lives. We also enjoyed brushing up on our juggling in an area devoted to circus acts/ games. It was a great experience that I was a bit skeptical about at first, but was in the end delighted to have had so much fun, not to mention to have met so many new people from all over the world.

A photo of me driving up to Beacon for the first time to meet Clearwater's director, Peter Gross. I was so surprised to learn I was actually about to be interviewed to work for Clearwater!

A photo of me driving up to Beacon for the first time to meet Clearwater’s director, Peter Gross. I was so surprised to learn I was actually about to be interviewed to work for Clearwater!

To my surprise, less than two months later I ended up being hired by Clearwater, and I am now living in Beacon where the office is located. I see many people I met at the festival last year and now get to facilitate this opportunity for others, all because I volunteered. Don’t miss out on a chance to experience the 2015 festival, it is approaching very quickly and there are still spaces left to sign up to volunteer.

Please visit www.clearwaterfestival.org/volunteer/ to apply or you can call, e-mail, or even text me with any questions you may have. I really hope you will join us for another epic festival as we volunteer to help deliver for the river!

Best,

Shameika Hanson

Volunteer Coordinator
Hudson River Sloop Clearwater Inc.
724 Wolcott Ave.
Beacon, NY 12508

Office: 845-265-8080 x. 7160
Work Cell: 845-464-5913
Shameika@clearwater.org

2 thoughts on “Sustainability Studies Program alumna Shameika Hanson needs YOUR help!