Schools should be required to teach a course on mental health to students

For my argumentative paper I want to talk about something that I’m really passionate about because I believe that when I do something that I care about and I believe in, that passion will transmit into my work and I will do a great job. Something that I am really passionate about is Mental illnesses and mental health. I chose this topic because it is something that I have had to deal with and I know that there is a stigma in society. I believe that being healthy doesn’t just mean physically it also means mentally healthy. I think that it is important to discuss mental health because being mentally unstable can influence someone’s everyday life as much as a broken bone. I also think that if people were mentally ok then, there would bemuses bullying in school, there wouldn’t be as much school shootings, less suicide rates and people would be happier. Its also important to speak about mental illness because there exists a stigma about it. people either don’t believe that people have mental illness or they don think that it is something to take serious. For my essay I proposed a solution to the mental health stigma in society. Because the younger generation is the future, just like how kids learn to ride a bike young and remember forever, if a course on mental health is implemented in the school curriculum, kids will learn to me mental fit people in their later lives. For my essay I have gathered some data from MentalHealthAmerica.net:

• 1 in 5 Adults (nearly 40 million Americans) in America suffer from mental illness and thats just the ones that are diagnosed. I can’t even imagine the amount of Americans that suffer from mental illness.
  • Youth mental health is worsening. Rates of youth with severe depression increased from 5.9% in 2012 to 8.2% in 2015. Even with severe depression, 76% of youth are left with no or insufficient treatment
  • …But most Americans still lack access to care. 56% of American adults with a mental illness do not receive treatment. Even in Maine, the state with the best access, 41.4% of adults with a mental illness do not receive treatment.

Mentally illness can lede to suicide. Many people don’t really understand why some people commit suicide and they call the victims “selfish”. with this essay I would life to argue the importance of mental illness comprehension and I will offer a solution for the problem.