Bringing Dante Back: Fanfiction as “Tradition”

It is with no exaggeration that I am a born and bred classicist of literary theory and criticism, and by no stretch of the imagination an expert in the discourse of Digital Humanities and Rhetoric. In fact, most of what I attempted to digest from the readings are concepts completely foreign to me.

Way to date myself and then expect everyone reading this to believe I’m a part of this technology generation!

To say that I’m an anomaly in this fast-paced tech generation is an understatement, but grappling with these readings and struggling to determine how I could synthesize information so foreign to me returned me to my strengths. Instead of trying to pair my experiences with computers, phones, and the never-ending stream of social media, I returned to my roots: Dante.

It was by surprise to me that when reading Landlow’s Hypertext 3.0 – after reading both Bolter and Grustin’s “Remediation” and Eyman’s “Digital Theory” – he even used Dante as an example to introduce his segment on “aggressively active readers.” I had all but given up on understanding Digital Rhetoric when Landow referenced the literary tradition that surrounds my research.

Landow writes on the commonality between ancient literature and modern pop culture as the “reader-as-writer” figure (6).  He expresses the push for writers to maintain active readership and develop their own writing by using other authors as models.  In “trying to write like them,” new authors can master the techniques and rhetoric used by successful, classic authors (6).  This practice was so widespread and even revered as an art throughout literary tradition.  He writes of Vergil as having “read and rewrote Homer, and that Dante read and rewrote both Homer and Vergil, and Milton continued the practice” (6).  Landow continues on to state that “Literary scholars are quite accustomed to chains of active readings that produce such rewritings.  We call it a tradition” (7).

Landow further details the nuances of these rewritings through the years, using Jane Eyre and Star Trek as examples of popular works having produced a pool of readers-turned-writers in their endeavors to rewrite and remix the original works into something new.  What Landow describes of these rewrites, their digitization, and their “underground culture” hints at, but doesn’t quite hit, the mark of fanfiction.

I find this fascinating because just as Landow explains the blurring of the boundary between writer and reader due to the appearance and incorporation of hypertext (4), fanfiction almost totally erases that boundary.  Even Eyman expressly states that “Digital rhetoric…erodes the distance between rhetor and reader, producer and user” (11).

In this definition, the reader or “fan” becomes the author, and the original writer becomes the “creator.”

Fanfiction is defined as: a type of fictional text written by fans of any work of fiction where the author uses established characters, settings, or other intellectual properties from an original creator as a basis for their writing.

A question I would like to propose then is: When and why was there a shift in which aggressive reading and rewriting were denounced and declined in literary value and mass-market production?  When did rewriting fall to censure between Milton and E.L. James?  Why is Dante’s Divine Comedy “classic” when Dante is arguably the biggest Vergil fanboy to exist?

While just researching a list of published novels that were once posted as fanfiction, I’m also wont to ask: why did these titles make the cut?  And most importantly, if they were so good as fanfictions, as rewrites of an original work, why were they stripped of their established elements to make something new and not glorified for their mastery in “consciously trying to write like” the original creators?

It in this trajectory of digital media that I see strong connections to the other readings, especially within the context of remediation.  If we consider the definition of remediation as: new media that transforms older media, retaining some of their features while discarding others, fanfiction is a great example of textual remediation.  For the most part, fanfiction remains a part of the digital domain, encased in a network specific to the merging of fandom communities through rewriting.  It is a literary and digital form that I think has the potential to create a pathway further connecting traditional literary theory and digital rhetoric by revamping and reworking the theories praising rewriting as tradition and applying them to the remediated version of rewriting: fanfiction.

I think I just grazed the tip of the iceberg for a final project idea!  Dante as medieval fanfiction…has a certain ring to it that’s calling to me! Although beginning as a classic paper and ink text, the media culture surrounding Dante has far superseded that once solitary bound text. There’s been movies, video games, graphic novels, manga adaptations.  The creation of Dante-inspired media is widespread, and I am partial to the manga adaption and its effects of remediation of the original text.  Just food for thought!

4 Thoughts.

1. Hi Alexandra. I loved reading your post. When you start considering Dante as fanfic, in particular with Landow saying how these epic poems are remediations on a work, you might want to try looking at Harold Bloom’s Anxiety of Influence. I think he’s wrong in a lot of ways, but it might be worth checking out for your project.

• Hi Alijan!

Thank you! I will definitely check out Bloom’s work and see how it can inform some avenues from my project. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

2. Hi Alexandra,
    It is possible that the change you’re talking about (the abandonment of aggressive reading and reworking existing texts) never really went away, but perhaps receded during the age of print, but began to reemerge during the age of the internet or what Walter Ong and others refer to as the age of secondary orality. Print had the effect of fixing language and reifying the book as an object to be collected and treated as an authority that would not change, or at least not change without a lot of labor and expense (ie, reprinting). Fan fiction blossomed in the age of the pc and networks because it could–it’s just so much easier now. We have WIKIS! And hyperlinks can connect the fanfic to its original source, creating an online environment rather than a single standalone text. As far as the surging popularity and repurposing of Dante, your guess is as good as mine (I can’t imagine why Dante would ever not be popular). I do think Dante might surge in times when there is a populist movement in literature, since he popularized writing in the vernacular and therefore made his work accessible to his friends and neighbors.

There is a video game of The Inferno? Please tell me where to get it!

• Hi Professor Davidson!
      I absolutely agree with you and your points about the rise of print and then the surge of the pc and networks. There’s definitely a lot to be said about the treatment of the authority of a book once it became an object, but I am still struck with that wondering of why there is such a denunciation of fanfiction in the physical book marketplace. Rewritings rarely – if ever – make it onto the shelves, unless they abandon all demarcations of their original “aggressive readings” of an already established text. Of course, it goes without saying that copyright laws do exist and those present a world of obstacles for publication. Yet, it did happen with Jane Eyre and other classic titles, during a time when rewritings were encouraged. So, while I absolutely agree about the resurgence of rewritings and that they have never truly gone away, I’m still floored by the quick rejection of those rewritings and how “fanfic” is synonymous with “fake writing.” My question becomes more: When did the act of rewriting become juvenile and not praised, as it once was with Virgil, Dante, and Milton by receiving audiences?

Also! The Dante’s Inferno game is for PS3 and Xbox 360, both versions available at Gamestop! I’ll link it here:
      https://www.gamestop.com/search/?q=dante%27s+inferno&lang=default