Teju Cole : Luigi Ghirri’s Brilliant Photographic Puzzles

Teju Cole, in his article for New York Time Magazine, in 2016, wrote about Luigi Ghirri, an Italian photographer, his way of photography, people who influenced Luigi and what attracts Cole to Luigi as he keeps a postcard reproduction of one of his famous photographs on his fridge ( Salisburgo, pictured above). He talks about how all of Luigi’s photographs are “calm and mysterious — just a bit out of reach”.

One of the first pictures mentioned ordinarily looks like four women overlooking mountains but upon closer look, the mountains look like they are part of a map or is a picture. When I looked at the picture the first time I too thought it was painting of four women looking at mountains. His pictures are a mix of reality and imagination. Cole explains it beautifully about Luigi’s work when he says, “These little touches, these grace notes, testify to the intensity of Ghirri’s seeing and his love for the muted but multi­dimensional drama the world contains.” when he talks about the photograph with the boat and word ‘MARE ‘ on it.

Reading about Luigi here I went on to look at his photographs and I found his photographs so beautiful, it gives a feeling of idealistic, picturesque holiday pictures many of them landscape – beautiful beaches, mountains, etc. In the photograph Tellaro, Italy, I almost missed the boat and the far-off island. I think that his pictures have a lot of detail but they are so minuscule that it is easy to miss and makes me wonder if it is Luigi’s actual intentions. His way of portraying landscape is different, interesting and hence makes sense why so attractive.