Presence on Web-Sphere

I have an extremely satirical attitude towards the Internet and digital media. Certain aspects of the Internet such as: its use to communicate information between academics; how it conveniently provides information to its users; its use to connect people across the globe, are admirable. However, the internet is mainly used as a plaything by the discerning youth of first world nations. The majority of the web is far from admirable.

Firstly I would like to acknowledge the severe lack of virtuous applications of the Internet. A sentiment shared by everyone; too often I have wonder the web and I experience garbage. I see America’s youth taking terabytes of garbage to the face daily. When I was a high school senior, I had a girlfriend who was a sophomore. That two year gap caused a micro generation gap. She was fond of Instagram and she was “Instagram famous,” a phrase coined by the youth to the define people (mainly girls) who were popular on Instagram. I had no interest or idea how to use this Instagram. My digital social life only consisted of Facebook; here was a peer, who was only two years younger, who used Twitter, Instagram,and Tumblr. All in all, I’ve concluded that her chronic use of digital media was due to a desire for attention. This is merely one example of infinite many disappointments found online.

Paul Levinson said in New New Media: “As of April 2012, Justin Bieber’s “Baby” had the most all-time views on YouTube– more than 725 million– and Kony 2012 more than 85 million.” It’s blatantly obvious that the matters that receive widespread publicity are worthless. In contrast, matters with heavier meaning and urgent concerns receive far less attention. Critics of the Internet would place all the blame on the Internet. I, like many, believe this behavior is natural and characteristic of human beings. This pattern of destructive behavior is recognized by many, evident in the words Pope Francis: “How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points?” I believe that the Internet enhance this default nature of humans.

My personal presence on the web have not been the most admirable example of Internet usage. Like many young adults, I use the web as a vessel to escape reality for a while and to simply enjoy some nonsense. I don’t believe it’s wrong to do so. However, my life will never revolve around digital social media. I have a general rule: I will not participate in a certain social media, unless it is socially detrimental for not doing so. I do not want to become enveloped in the Internet. I realized the reason behind this is because if it ever happened, I would be ashamed of myself. I’m not proud of the current digital culture as a whole, I’m not proud of humanity as a whole, and I am not proud of how us humans use the Internet. That’s the sole reason why I refrain from using social media.

I love the web for its resources and vast quantities of information. It’s an exceptional tool for learning. If ever this a subject you do not understand, YouTube it. From that search, there will be a myriad of doctorate holding professors uploading their lectures for free. The Internet does unite people from all over the world and they use it for constructive purposes.

In the manner which I use the Internet, it enhances my life. I use it almost solely for scholastics services. As a result, one becomes more efficient at learning and gathering information. Its significance is that you can search the web and there, there is an outstanding number of people who can empathize with you. Even if what you search for is not academic and you have a genuine concerns, there are people on the web asking the same question. Whether its a concern of great magnitude like a national disaster or a simple worrisome predicament we all encounter, we find ourselves on the web searching and researching these situations. We have all Googled a question and used Yahoo Answers to answer something, ranging from the basic to the complex. This is an excellent example of how the web connects all of us for objective purposes. Interactive problem solving is what I dream the Internet should be used for.

About this entry