Kalina Roussev

video
video Info
  • Advisor: Toby Buonagurio

I wanted to explore my local market street through the lens of a colorful, painterly style created through the media of watercolor pencil. Each of these pieces was based on a selected part of a popular street of commerce in my local hometown, of which I have a lot of fond memories in visiting often to enjoy the local businesses. These drawings each capture different locations of the street that all were landmarks to me growing up. A store that could reflect the view of the street, a fountain in front of a popular bar, and a clocktower at the center of the street that would always be a meeting place for my friends and I to gather. Using my own color pallets for the pieces, I was able to portray my own interpretation of the locations that were meaningful to me. They weren’t places created by dull bricks laid down one at a time, they were colorful places that created vibrant memories for myself, and for the people who came to this street. Market street means a lot for our community, as we have so many small businesses consisting of restaurants, art galleries, boutiques, and more. It’s the color of our town, which is what motivated me to center my drawings around it.

Title: The Street of Glass in Young Winter, Date: February 2021, Dimensions: 9” x 12”, Medium: Watercolor Drawing

Title: The Bar Fountain That Showered Snow, Date: March 2021, Dimensions: 9” x 12”, Medium: Watercolor Drawing