The Marine Resources Advisory Council was established by the New York State Legislature in 1987 to provide advice to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) on issues pertaining to New York’s living marine resources and the fisheries these resources sustain. The statutory duties of the council include:
- to review DEC allocations and expenditures for the care, management, protection and enlargement of marine resources
- to issue reports and information regarding DEC’s marine resources program to commercial and recreational harvesters
- to consult with commercial and recreational harvesters to develop recommendations regarding marine resource program needs
- to assist DEC’s efforts to expand available income to meet (marine) program needs
- to review and provide recommendations to DEC on any proposed regulations for the management of marine fisheries
During a calendar year, the Marine Resources Advisory Council holds seven regularly-scheduled meetings: January, March, April, May, July, September, and November. These meetings are supplemented with extraordinary meetings as occasion and circumstances warrant.
In an effort to keep the public informed about the Council’s activities, deliberations, and positions, a bulletin series is produced. The bulletin briefly describes the major discussions at each of the Council’s regularly-scheduled meetings, along with any motions made during a meeting and whether the motion was adopted or not. Each issue of the bulletin also identifies the dates of the Council’s remaining regularly-scheduled meetings in that calendar year and lists the agenda items for the next Council meeting. Past issues of the Council Bulletin are available below.
For more information about the Marine Resources Advisory Council, contact chairman Michael Frisk: firstname.lastname@example.org; 631/632-8656 (ph).
For information about marine resources in New York State and the role of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation in the management of these resources, visit the Bureau of Marine Resources Web Site at http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/796.html. Information on shellfish, recreational saltwater fishing, and marine habitats is available there.