James Quiroz

Mysteries of the Turkana Fisheries – How aging fishes tells us a lot about the past and the future.

Come and learn how to study the age and growth of a variety of fishes in Lake Turkana in Africa.

We have been using otolith, scale, vertebrae and tissue samples to accurately determine the age and growth of valuable fishery stocks which play an important role in the surrounding population’s diet.

Where did you go to school?

I did my undergrad at Stony Brook University majoring in marine science.

What is your area of research?

I use a variety of different aging methods to understand the ecology of fisheries.

Who or what inspired you to become involved in marine science?

I’ve always had a passion for marine life. Since I was very small, my Mom was always

my exploring buddy, we’d spend hours combing the beach and looking up the amazing animals

that washed up.

What qualities do you think are important in order to become a scientist?

I firmly believe the passion to explore the unknown and ask creative questions creates

the best scientists. Never be afraid to ask tough questions, you’ll never know unless you try!

Why is your research topic important?

Aging fishes is extremely integral to understanding the ecology of populations and how

biotic and abiotic factors impact the sustainability of a species. By understanding the age of

these animals, we can implement measures to ensure the health of the species and the people

who rely heavily on the commercial fishery.

What will you be bringing with you to the “meet with an Oceanographer” day?

Microscope with otolith cuts, scale samples, vertebrae samples and fossilized teeth.

What is the best advice you have for people interested in becoming involved in your field of

research or in marine sciences?

Do everything you can in this field. Even if the job or opportunity seems outside of your

comfort zone, gaining experience and broadening your horizons both provide exposure to a

myriad of amazing channels that this field has to offer. Who knows, you may discover something

you had no idea you were interested in!

What is your favorite ocean organism?

Smalltooth sawfish