Yong Chen’s team

December 7, 2024The Hidden World of Hudson River and Long Island Sound

Yong Chen’s team, Stony Brook University. The Hudson River and Long Island Sound play crucial roles in the lives of Long Island communities. These waterways provide essential ecological, economic, and recreational benefits. A group of scientists and PhD students at Stony Brook University will take you on a “dive” into these waters to learn the stories of local tiny fish and crustaceans, and their adaptation to the changing environment.

U.S. Cruise: New York Cruise, Hudson River Valley | National Geographic Expeditions

Where did you go to school?

Yunzhou Li: I attained a bachelor’s degree in China and then moved to the US for graduate school. I studied marine policy at the University of Washington in Seattle, and fisheries science and management at the University of Maine.

Arthur (AJ) Mabaka: I attended Washington and Lee University, earning a B.A. in Environmental Studies.

Stephanie Arsenault: Bachelor of Science from Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida. Marine Science Major with a focus in Marine biology.

Anh Nguyen: I did my undergraduate program in Vietnam. I am currently a third-year PhD student in Marine Science at Stony Brook University.

Katrina Rokosz: University of Vermont, 2020. Fisheries Biology Major, Mathematics Minor

What is your area of research?

Yunzhou Li: As a person interested in both nature and humans, I study the interactions between natural systems and human societies under global changes at various scales. Some research questions I am passionate about are: how do anthropogenic stressors and global climate change impact marine ecosystems and fish populations? What are the subsequential effects of these changes on the economy and livelihoods? Which management strategies can prepare human societies for these impacts?

Arthur (AJ) Mabaka: My research mostly involves climate change and its effects on shellfish such as blue claw crabs, oysters, scallops, and Jonah crabs. I’m also very interested in the environmental impacts of offshore wind development on fisheries.

Stephanie Arsenault: Quantitative fisheries, ecology, population dynamics, Hudson River, forage fish, habitat suitability.

Anh Nguyen: Fish life history, biological characteristics, microplastics, heavy metal

Katrina Rokosz: Fish community dynamics in the Hudson River and New York Bight

Who or what inspired you to become involved in marine science?

Yunzhou Li: I was born and raised in a coastal city known for the greatest seafood. One of my favorite childhood activities was to pick fresh fish and shrimp with my mom at local seafood markets. As I delved into the field at college, I became obsessed with the interesting dynamics in the fishery systems – the health of fish populations, the human need for fish protein and nutrients, and the design and implementation process of management and conservation measures.

Arthur (AJ) Mabaka: Growing up on the East End of Long Island and fishing with several baymen and fishermen in my family, I was taught to love the ocean at an early age. Then, pursuing marine science through courses and internships in high school and college solidified my desire to become a marine scientist.

Stephanie Arsenault: I was incredibly inspired in middle school when I read Dr. Sylvia Earle’s autobiography.

Anh Nguyen: The fish themself and how diverse they are.

Katrina Rokosz: I grew up SCUBA diving and sailing in Boston, MA and fishing in Wisconsin’s North Woods. I always loved being in and on the water, whether it was the ocean or a lake. When I went to college, I realized that I could pursue a career exploring waterbodies and improving our understanding of the animals that live in the ocean or lakes.

What qualities do you think are important in order to become a scientist?

Yunzhou Li: Being curious, independent, adventurous, and open to challenges.

Arthur (AJ) Mabaka: To be a scientist, I think you need to have a desire to learn more about something. Science is constantly evolving with discoveries being made every day and I think the people who make those discoveries are only able to do so because they are passionate about their research. For marine science, I think you need to have a love for the ocean (even if it’s just one small part of it)! As Jacques Cousteau said, “We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.”

Stephanie Arsenault: Perseverance, attention to detail, curiosity, and the desire to learn.

Anh Nguyen: Curiosity, eagerness to learn, self-discipline, and more.

Katrina Rokosz: Curious, observant, diligent, and not afraid to ask questions.

Why is your research topic important? 

Yunzhou Li: Fishery is multifaceted and multidisciplinary by its nature. Addressing challenges in fisheries management require a holistic understanding of various components, including fish species, the environment they live in, the interactions between they predators and preys, as well as the fishing communities depending on them.

Arthur (AJ) Mabaka: As our oceans continue to change due to human influences, it is crucial to understand how shifts in environmental conditions will affect the species we love and depend on. The research my colleagues and I do at Stony Brook’s School of Marine Science helps us better understand these changes and their impacts on marine life.

Stephanie Arsenault: The Hudson River is an incredibly diverse estuarine environment that supports economically, socially, and biologically important species.

Anh Nguyen: I examine fish life history, abundance, and contamination conditions to learn more about the species and their states so we can better manage them.

Katrina Rokosz: Understanding how fish communities have been changing in the Hudson River and New York Bight, and what is driving these changes, is important for enacting effective ecosystem management.

What will you be bringing with you to the “meet with an Oceanographer” day?

Yunzhou Li: We will bring fish samples, lobster traps, interactive fish simulation programs, and more fun stuff.

Arthur (AJ) Mabaka: I will be bringing blue claw crabs, Jonah crabs, and a variety of shells as well!

Stephanie Arsenault: Preserved samples of Hudson River fish, and something else?

Anh Nguyen: Juvenile fish and fish scale samples, microscopes, coloring pages, laptops, and monitors.

Katrina Rokosz: I help run the Fall Juvenile Survey on the Hudson River, which is a trawl survey that runs bi-weekly from June to November from New York City to Albany. I will bring some preserved fish that our lab has from the survey.

What is the best advice you have for people interested in becoming involved in your field of research or in marine sciences? 

Yunzhou Li: Knowing that yourself interested in marine science is a great start. Now, just take a further step to learn more about it and have fun.

Arthur (AJ) Mabaka: I would say to explore! Whether it’s going to the beach and picking through shells at low tide, watching documentaries and reading books, applying for internships through school, state, and federal programs, or volunteering at places like the Long Island Aquarium or the NY Marine Rescue Center, there are a lot of ways to more about marine science and partake in field research!

Stephanie Arsenault: Ask lots of questions and find something that sparks your interest.

Anh Nguyen: Get some hands-on experience early.

Katrina Rokosz: Get involved. Marine science is a broad field that can be tailored to many interests. Getting involved with government agencies, NGOs, summer camps, etc. can help you figure what specifically you like (or do not like) about marine science and/or research.

What is your favorite ocean organism?

Yunzhou Li: My favorite ocean organism is sea otters!

Arthur (AJ) Mabaka: My favorite ocean organism is the octopus. Not only are they incredibly intelligent and mysterious animals, but after reading The Soul of An Octopus by Sy Montgomery and watching My Octopus Teacher on Netflix I have become a huge fan of cephalopods.

Stephanie Arsenault: Currently, I love bay anchovy.

Anh Nguyen: Pufferfish.

Katrina Rokosz: Slimy sculpin are my favorite fish, but they live in freshwater. My favorite saltwater fish is the parrot fish.

Want to learn more? Follow the link