Research

my areas of interest are Medical Imaging, Biomedical Instrumentation, Biomedical Signal Processing, Biostatistics, etc. I had started research in the field of Biomedical Engineering with “Digital color vision deficiency test”. This project relies on Ishihara, an existing color blindness test chart, by calculating the digital parameters of the vision. In this project, a few color blind people volunteered for digitized testing using Ishihara charts. Despite the insignificant outcome, this experience had taught me patience and experience in researching. I also worked in the field of nanoparticles, particularly, “Finding the Carbon Quantum Dots using Highly Concentrated Carcinogens as the Indicators”.

As a part of my summer internships (2016 &2017) at Osmania University, I had focused on the fields such as Biomedical Instrumentation and Signal Processing. I had worked on the project sponsored under University Grants Commission (UGC), Govt. of India titled “Mitigation of Drowsy driving through ANN-based blink features from the EOG and EEG data acquisition system” under the supervision of Prof. D. Suman and Prof. M. Malini. This involves data acquisition and processing, and feature extraction. The study resulted in the index that defines the drowsiness of the participant through EEG which resulted in a publication titled “Discrete Wavelet-based statistical features for the detection of drowsiness from EEG” in International Conference on Biomedical Engineering (ICBME – 2016) held at Singapore. The EOG data was analyzed by using various algorithms involving complex mathematical and statistical principles. Using these concepts, I developed an EOG based smart goggles with IR sensors which detects the drowsiness state of a participant and resulted in a paper titled “Smart Goggles for Drowsiness detection to avoid the vehicle accidents” in the Journal of Instrumentation Society of India (ISOI – 2016).

As a part of my product designing laboratory, I had designed an ECG circuit. The obtained signals were analyzed in Matlab® to estimate heart rate and other ECG parameters. In this lab, I had mastered designing PCB boards using NI Multisim™. With the knowledge from the previous courses, I had undertaken a project named “Microcontroller and DTMF (Dual-Tone Multi-Frequency) based automated reactor for microalgae cultivation” under the guidance of Prof. P. Balasubramanian. This includes circuit designing and development, Arduino programming, and assembling to produce the hardware setup. This device has the ability to control the environmental factors that are required for the growth of the algae. With this project, I became adept at Arduino programming and acquainted with various sensors. Projects that I have done in the fields Biomedical Signal Processing, Instrumentation and Sensors made me keen to do further research in the field of Biomedical Engineering. Especially those that support humans to simplify their work and diagnose the related illness.

I was trained on the calibration of various medical devices sponsored by the Biomedical Instrumentation Center at Hyderabad. I was trained on calibration equipment like Prosim8 vital sign simulator, Electrical safety analyzer (ESA 615), Gas flow analyzer and Infusion device analyzer (IDA4 Plus) by Fluke international corporation. I also have hands-on experience in local medical hospitals mainly on the equipment like Patient Monitors, Anaesthesia Machines, Ventilators, ICU Equipment, etc.

Imaging comes first in my priority list of interests in the field of biomedical engineering. So, at present in my graduate program, I am working on the projects related to imaging under the guidance of Professor Paul Vaska. In our lab, we are mainly working on Development of advanced instrumentation for imaging using PET/MR. At present, we are developing scanners for PET and simulation is done using GATE software. Currently, I am working on the project named Generation of optical photons and its interaction with the obelisk for PET applications. In this project, I am using Gate_v8.2 simulation software to build the scanner. The goal of this project is to generate optical photons using gamma rays and an LSO crystal. And a novel geometry has to be built and use the obtained optical photons in this geometry.