Noah Negishi

Noah Negishi

Noah Negishi

2020 Movie Posters

This year is much like a long [disastrous] movie. So for this student mural, I decided to create a series of movie posters dedicated to the year 2020. Movie posters can contain a significant amount of information, yet be minimalist. For my series, I focused on the three events that took place this year: the Black Lives Matter movement, the wildfires, and the pandemic itself. For the BLM movie poster, I had a hard time deciding what I would do for it, but I chose to focus on the #BlackoutTuesday movement that took place on social media. Since social media was a prominent method to communicate this year, so many have participated in this global movement. I would assume the movement would have made an even stronger impact if everyone who participated did what they could by signing petitions, donating, and/or being actively anti-racist in their personal lives. Sadly, there were others who only hopped in on the movement because they only saw it as an opportunity to elevate themselves, thus the title “Fad”. The second poster focused on the wildfires in California and how much it made me sad to see San Francisco, the place where I grew up, covered in smoke. The original photographs of San Francisco were taken back in 2018 by myself. The third one is of the pandemic itself, with the waves of mask paralleling the saying of the pandemic’s first wave/the second wave. The lone paper boat symbolizes the fragility of a human body and the loneliness we felt during the quarantine. The paper boat has been made/photographed by myself and was added digitally into the waves of masks I created on Photoshop. So many more events took place this year, but these three events spoke to me the most.