The ISO Blog

An Online Community for SBU International Students

“Butterflies in my Stomach”

This week’s English phrase is “butterflies in my stomach.”

Have you ever felt so nervous about something that it made your insides feel strange? Like taking a final exam, or going to a job interview, or hosting an event? Have you ever felt so excited about something you looked forward to that you could barely sleep at night? Like a vacation trip, or a huge party, or a special reunion? The feeling one might have from anxiety or excitement is described by having “butterflies,” because this “fluttery” sensation can be associated with the image of the fluttering of a butterfly inside the stomach.

So, the formal definition of this idiom would be: To have a “fluttering” or tickling sensation in the abdomen due to feeling anxious or excited about something.

Here are a few example sentences for this phrase:

I had butterflies in my stomach the morning before my class presentation, so I listened to some music on my way to class to calm myself down.

When I start thinking about the beach trip with friends this weekend, I start to get butterflies from the excitement and it keeps me from falling asleep.

When he looks in my eyes, I get butterflies in my stomach, and I can’t help but turn my head away.

It has also been said that this feeling of having “butterflies” can be associated with love, as some people feel a nervous feeling in their stomach around someone they like or someone they find attractive.

Next time you feel this sensation of anxiety or excitement, try using this phrase!

1 Comment

1. William Thompson

August 7, 2024 at 7:00 AM

The cognitive trajectory you embark upon within this theme is a trajectory charted by an Slope Run intellectual compass of innovation, pointing towards constellations of thought previously hidden from view.