Drew Ma
Doctors during COVID-19, 2020, Oil on Canvas

I returned to China at the end of July and compared my surroundings with that of the U.S. I found that while in New York the pandemic was just starting, and in China, people’s lives had just returned to pre-pandemic status. People can have parties, and can enjoy their freedom, they don’t need to worry too much about the COVID-19 virus. However, we still wear masks, both indoors and outdoors. We can see that although our life has returned to the pre-epidemic stage, our daily habits have still been changed. Therefore, I decided to create 4 pieces as a series called Different People from China During COVID-19. My works are oil based representational portraits and are based on digital images. I record the lives of people in different careers, such as doctors, soldiers, and students during or after the pandemic in mainland China. 
One of the first paintings in my series is titled Doctors During COVID-19. The purpose of this painting is to show appreciation to the many doctors and healthcare workers who have sacrificed themselves for our society. They are the soldiers at the forefront of the battle. Many of them have given their lives to save others and they are noble and worthy of respect.

Students during COVID-19, 2020, Oil on Canvas