Publications and grants

Publications 

Differential interference contrast (DIC) microscopy with adjustable plastic Sanderson prisms

Applied Optics 

https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.381056

We demonstrated that light splitting for DIC microscopy could be achieved with polycarbonate bars under a bending load. I collected various data to find the optimum bending moment that would provide the same diffraction pattern as the traditional prism. I 3D printed an open frame, and a condenser frame that was used to apply stress. For my first publication, I observed the complete process for submitting IBRs, and the importance of research on advancing medical technology that can be used in promoting patient care.

Interleukin(IL)-22 receptor signaling in Paneth cells is critical for their maturation and antimicrobial function

The Journal of Immunology

https://www.jimmunol.org/content/204/1_Supplement/60.9

In this project, we looked at the novel role of IL-22 in Paneth cell-mediated small intestinal host defense. Paneth cells are an important part of the cell lineage in the small intestinal crypts that secrete antimicrobial peptides. Through performing multiple experiments we were able to conclude that Paneth cell maturation, antimicrobial effector functions, gene expression, and enteroid morphogenesis are dependent on cell-intrinsic IL-22Ra1 signaling. 

IL-22 receptor signaling in Paneth cells is critical for their maturation, microbiota colonization, Th17-related immune responses and anti-Salmonella immunity 

Under Review 

As a continuation of my previous paper regarding the effect of IL-22 on Paneth cells, I performed phloxine-tartrazine, immunofluorescence staining experiments and data analyses. I aided the other undergraduate in mouse dissection and collection of multiple parts like the colon, terminal ileum, spleen and others for RNA and DNA isolation and analysis.

Grants 

Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship  – Hofstra 

As a freshman in college, I worked full time on research during the summer. I received a grant to work on modifying Differential Interference Contrast (DIC) microscopy. It is a technique to image spatially dependent gradients in optical path lengths. Contrast is produced through the splitting of polarized light. We showed that light splitting for DIC microscopy can also be achieved with polycarbonate bars under a bending load.  Once we started collecting valid and reliable data, we communicated with microscope companies to use our innovation for technical advancement.

Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation grant

Student Research Fellowship Awards

https://app.dimensions.ai/details/grant/grant.8600845

I investigated Inflammatory bowel disease, which is an autoimmune condition marked by chronic intestinal inflammation. Through this experience, I learned to utilize the criteria of the organization offering the award in order to communicate my credentials. I learned in-depth about previous discoveries regarding the role of IL-22 in IBD. The grant had specific criteria leading me to develop better organizational skills and the ability to execute complex instructions. 

Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities grant

This is the second grant I received during the same time frame as the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation grant. Even though it was for the same project, the requirements for writing and executing it were different. It further improved my organizational skills and the ability to follow complicated instructions that I learned during the previous grant. After receiving this grant, I was required to participate in a lab that exposed me to the experience and the responsibilities that come with working in a web lab and taking part in more prolonged procedures that couldn’t have been done otherwise.

Presentations 

Oral Presentation at Rockefeller University – Summer 2017

I presented new findings in using polycarbonate plastic instead of traditional prisms in Dr. Stanford M. Simon’s lab. This was my first experience with large presentations separate from the classroom. I learned the importance of manifesting confidence and proper message delivery during public speaking. Post presentation I was commended for my dedication and work towards the lab. The lab frequently utilized microscopes for cell imaging and wanted to implement my findings into their lab structure. This positive outcome encouraged me to continue doing research in the future.

URECA poster presentation 2019 

Making this poster taught me the significance and importance of representing data visually. I presented about the role of IL-22 in the maturation of Paneth Cells and antimicrobial activities. I organized the poster in a way that would prioritize critical information while keeping it simple and easy to understand. The poster presentation proved to be more valuable than just a plain presentation because of the images and figures that I used in order to help detail my findings.

URECA poster presentation 2020 

This was my second presentation in URECA for the continuation of my previous project. We focused on the importance of IL-22 signaling in Paneth Cells for regulating gut microbiota colonization. Overall we were able to conclude IL-22Ra1 signaling directly influences the promoter activity for Lyz1, Mmp7, and Pancryptdin expression. IL-22Ra1 signaling induces Paneth cell maturation and effector gene expression, however, unessential for Paneth cell differentiation. Further studies are required to understand the mechanism of IL-22 signaling and transcriptional regulation in Paneth cells.