Lisa Crawford

February 9, 2019 You Are What You Eat: Pollution in the Marine Food Web

Lisa Crawford, Stony Brook University. Everyone knows pollution is bad, but what happens when pollutants enter the ocean? Find out what happens to sharks, rays, and other marine critters when they are exposed to contaminants. Meet with a local marine biologist to learn about marine predators and the risks they face in the ocean.

Interviewing Lisa

Where did you go to school?

I went to New College of Florida where I received my Bachelor’s of the Arts in Marine Biology. Currently I am a Marine Science PhD student at Stony Brook University.

What is your area of research?

I am studying aquatic toxicology, specifically looking at the impacts of organic contaminants such as methyl mercury and PCBs on sharks and their relatives. Previously, I researched shark sensory biology and completed several projects on shark electrosensory systems and circadian rhythms.

Who or what inspired you to become involved in marine science?

I was inspired by Eugenie Clark, The Shark Lady, who founded Cape Haze Marine Laboratory, which was later renamed Mote Marine Laboratory. She spearheaded shark science and pioneered the field for future female marine scientists. I was fortunate to intern at Mote while in high school where I first learned of Eugenie and her amazing research. She inspired me to pursue marine biology in college and further her legacy as a female shark researcher.

What qualities do you think are important in order to become a scientist?

I believe scientists should be life-long learners who constantly question the world around them. It’s also important for scientists to be self-starters and adaptable–often experiments can be frustrating and lead to dead ends, so it’s important to be able to find creative solution to problems and stay motivated through challenges.

Why is your research topic important?

Studying the impacts of organic contaminants on sharks and their relatives is important because we have very little information about how the health of these organisms is affected from ingestion and exposure to pollutants. There is abundant evidence for other marine species that the contaminants can be harmful to reproduction, growth, and development. Sharks and their relatives are apex predators that are critical to the marine food web. Without understanding all threats to sharks, skates, and rays, we cannot completely protect these globally threatened species.

What will you be bringing with you to the “meet with an Oceanographer” day?

I will be bringing skate egg cases (you’ve probably seen them washed up on the beach) as well as preserved research specimens. I will also be bringing microbiology lab equipment to show kids how we study pollutants in the lab.

What is the best advice you have for people interested in becoming involved in your field of research or in marine sciences?

Read everything you can about your passions. Find newspaper and magazine articles about the ocean to stay current (ha!) on new developments and interesting findings. There are abundant free resources online to read primary literature in your fields of interest such as Google Scholar. Look for volunteer and internship opportunities to build a resume and start making connections as early as possible–even if they aren’t directly related to marine science.

What is your favorite ocean organism?

My favorite ocean organisms the the Port Jackson shark! They are tiny sharks from Australia that look like that have little mustaches!

Want to learn more about Lisa?

People