People

Current graduate students

Irvin Huang (2013-  )

BS: University of California, Davis

I am a PhD candidate in the McElroy Lab. I received my BS from the University of California, Davis, where I studied environmental toxicology and wildlife biology. My previous research experience spans many diverse systems (from polluted bays up to high elevation forests) and study organisms (from tunicates to deer). My dissertation research looks at how different pharmaceuticals found in wastewater impacts fish development and behavior. Other scientific interests of mine include epigenetics, population modeling, and scientific communication.                                                                                                                                                                               

tara

Tara Dolan (2015-  )

MS: University of Miami

I am a PhD student in the McElroy lab, co-advised by Dr. Mike Frisk. My doctoral work is on environmental biology and population dynamics of winter flounder in Long Island bays. I completed my M.S. at the University of Miami, where I studied monitoring design for environmental impact assessment of fish communities relevant to nuclear power development, and perception of environmental risk by stakeholders in the environmental assessment process. As a 2013 Knauss Marine Policy Fellow, I worked with the NMFS Office of Science & Technology on developing policy for the next generation of fish stock assessments and ecosystem-based fisheries management.  Before I started at NMFS headquarters, I worked as a research diver and communication specialist at the NMFS Southeast Fisheries Science Center. I enjoy running, playing with my dog, painting, and underwater photography.

matt

Matthew Sisky (2016-  )

BS: University of New Hampshire

MS: Chespeake Biological Laboratory, MD

I am a PhD student co-advised by Drs. Anne McElroy and Mike Frisk. I completed my BSc at the University of New Hampshire (2011) and my MSc at the University of Maryland’s Center for Environmental Science (Chespeake Biological Laboratory, Solomons, MD) (2015). For my MSc thesis, I used otoliths to investigate changes in age structure, growth, and stock mixing of Atlantic bluefin tuna in US fisheries over the past 40 years. Here at SoMAS, I am interested in continuing my studies on how life history, migration, and population structure of marine fishes respond to disturbance and contribute to population resilience, using winter flounder as a model species. Ultimately, I aim to apply this information with a simulation modeling framework in order to develop alternative fisheries assessment models and management strategies.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

lisaLisa Crawford (2016-  )

BA: New College of Florida

I am a PhD student in the McElroy lab. I am originally from Denver, Colorado, and I grew up skiing and hiking and dreaming about studying the ocean. I received my BA in marine biology from New College of Florida in May 2016. I conducted my undergraduate senior thesis on the circadian rhythms of captive nurse sharks exposed to various laboratory lighting regimens at Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, Florida. Also at Mote, I previously studied the behavioral sensitivity of sandbar sharks to prey simulating electric fields as part of the USFSM-REU, and I studied the effects of antibiotics on the rheotaxis abilities of blind Mexican cave fish as a Mote intern. I plan to continue working with elasmobranch species as a member of the McElroy lab. Outside of the lab I love scuba diving, skiing, and visiting the national parks.

Recently graduated

Subham Dasgupta (2011- 2016)

BS: University of Calcutta, India

MS: University of Calcutta, India

PhD: SUNY, Stony Brook

Current position: Postdoctoral Fellow University of California Riverside, David Volz Laboratory

I am a recent PhD from the McElroy Lab. I received my BS in Human Physiology from Presidency College (now University) and MS in Environmental Sciences from the University of Calcutta, both in Calcutta, India. My dissertation research focused on assessing toxic effects of oil-dispersant system alone or interactively with hypoxia and identify probable physiological and biochemical mechanisms driving such toxicity in early life stage fishes. To address these issues, I studied survival and growth in fish larvae as well as sublethal responses like detoxification, oxidative stress, DNA damage and gene expression to predict potential pathways for toxicity in the sheepshead minnow, a native Gulf of Mexico fish.

Spencer Saraf (2014- 2017)

BS: SUNY Oswego

MS: SUNY Stony Brook

Current position: Suffolk Community College

I am originally from Lockport, NY and went on to receive my BS in Chemistry from SUNY Oswego. I have research experience in the biochemistry field, working on binding affinities of heavy metals to proteins and localizing visual proteins throughout the body of the horseshoe crab, along with experience in marine natural product extraction and identification. My masters research focused on characterizing the effects of a toxic cyanobacteria, Microcystis aeruginosa, on development of early life stage medaka fish.

Skip to toolbar