Reflection on WRT 102

As my time in WRT 102 comes to an end, it’s important to reflect on the work that I have done this semester. Going into WRT 102, I wasn’t very excited because I didn’t think that I would learn anything new in addition to what I had learned in high school. In all my high school classes I had been told that my writing was pretty strong, and I always preferred writing over math and science. As the course went on, I realized that I still struggled when it came to certain topics. For example, I have always struggled with planning and outlining essays. I find it very hard to write introductions because it takes me a long time to map it out in my head or on paper. I also found that I needed a refresher on proper punctuation and MLA formatting, especially in-text citations. Other than that, I really enjoyed writing the papers because they were about topics that I really liked. Finding sources for papers is my favorite aspect of writing because I get to read interesting articles and journals about things that I hadn’t known before. My least favorite thing about the class was when we had to do textbook reading in the beginning of the semester. We only ever used the textbook in first couple months of the semester, so I don’t think getting it was worth it. I would rather our professor gives us handouts and do lessons on the textbook concepts. Overall, I’m glad that this class is required for all students at Stony Brook because I saw my writing get better with each essay that I wrote. I am especially proud of my argument paper defending DACA and DREAMers. I really liked writing that paper because I found myself writing very passionately about immigrant issues. I hope to continue to improve my writing and carry over these skills in papers for other classes.