Just Choose Life, ‘Cause It’ll Be Alright

The song “Never Too Late” by Three Days Grace tells the story of a person who is going through the struggles of life and contemplating suicide. The song’s title says it all, as the vocalist Adam Gontier is trying to encourage the character depicted in the story to decide against suicide by saying it’s never too late to choose life. I personally love this song and the message behind this song, as I am completely pro-life and for choosing life over everything. I live my life as healthily as I possibly can because of how much I value it, and any message promoting life over suicide is inspirational to me. I personally work for a charity called Heart Support that is anti-suicide/pro-life, and as a member of their community and fundraising team, I raise money to help pay for motivational speakers, artists, and counselors to talk to kids suffering from addiction, anxiety, and depression. Due to my involvement in Heart Support and my pro-life beliefs, I easily connect with the message of this song and think it’s important that people who are thinking about committing suicide hear the message presented in the song.

The lyrics are definitely the strong point of the song, as the instrumentals are fairly basic and take a more subtle position in the cosmos of the song. The instrumentals are used to support the lyrics on a dynamic level, as the band uses a forte and fortissimo dynamic underneath the chorus, which lyrically speaks against suicide and giving life a second chance. This is a perfect combination, as the loud and extra loud characteristics of the forte and fortissimo dynamics push the lyrics over the edge, and give them a vibrant appeal in the song. During the verses, the dynamic is kept at a piano tone, which means soft. There are soft drums and acoustic guitar that accompany low register vocals, featuring lyrical themes that focus on reasons for wanting to commit suicide. This allows Three Days Grace to transfer from a soft dynamic and melancholy lyrical themes to a big, vibrant sound featuring positive and inspirational lyrical themes. By using this contrast, Three Days Grace makes the more vibrant instrumentals that much more special and important in the song.

The lyrics tell the story of the song by talking about depressing topics in the verses and motivational and inspirational topics in the chorus. It revolves around the idea of presenting a problem, and then giving the inspiration to find an answer. It isn’t autobiographical or completely unusual for Three Days Grace, as it generally has the same instrumentals as their other songs. The only instrumental difference is the use of acoustic guitar and a wider dynamic, as most of Three Days Grace’s songs solely feature the rock elements that are used only in the chorus of “Never Too Late.” As I mentioned previously, this song is very special to me because I am one hundred percent for the message the lyrics promote. Through my involvement in Heart Support and my beliefs in pro-life, I think this song perfectly encompasses an important message about choosing life and seeking help. I am not sure if it is special to Three Days Grace, as there is no report on the Internet stating that they find this song especially significant. However, this is one of their most popular songs and they had a lot of success in the music industry when this song was released.

I would recommend this song to anyone who is feeling down and needs a song with a feel-good message. I would also recommend this song to anyone who enjoys modern rock music, classic rock music, or classic metal music. It contains elements of all of those genres and is perfect for any playlist orientated to those genres. It is possible to put this song in a work out playlist as well, due to the upbeat and inspirational chorus. It is the kind of song that gives you chills, and for some people that’s the kind of feeling that gets them excited for a big game, work out, etc. I would also recommend this song to anyone who loves older rock and wants to get into more modern rock music, as I find that Three Days Grace is an easy modern band to listen to.

Works Cited

Gontier, Adam. “”Never Too Late” Lyrics.” AZlyrics. MusixMatch, n.d. Web. 12 Mar.

2015.

Gontier, Adam. Never Too Late. Three Days Grace. Howard Benson, 2006. CD.

Lyrics

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/threedaysgrace/nevertoolate.html

2 thoughts on “Just Choose Life, ‘Cause It’ll Be Alright

1. Chuck.Powell@stonybrook.edu

Very nice song, easy to listen to even if you have no special connection to the lyrics. I agree the contrast between the chorus and the regular stanzas is what makes the song. Glad you were able to make a strong connection between what you believe in and the assignment.

Reply
  2. Stella

Dear Nick, I really appreciate the song you choose and I am pretty enjoy reading your draft. You use many details to make your post vivid and convincible. You not only describe the melody of the song, but also analyse the background story. Well done! 🙂

Reply