11 Jan PM – Sea Urchins

I expected there to be many things that would potentially kill me in Jamaica since it was tropical, had reefs, and the last place I went like this was pretty deadly (Australia). After the first day, however, we learned that most things were harmless. There is one thing that is still quite terrifying to me: Diadema antillarum or the long spined sea urchin. This urchin stays in crevices during the day to avoid their fish predators. The menacing spikes stick out and move towards you at the slightest motion around them. Many urchins try and cover themselves with algae or other materials to camouflage against predators. The West Indian sea egg (Tripneustes ventricosus) is one that does that in this lagoon. Diadema has no need for that; it’s the rock and roll star of this urchin community sporting a red and black color scheme, finding prime real estate for protection. This urchin is a creature of the night. It slowly crawls out of its daytime hiding place to feed in the absence of predators (many fish sleep at night).

Last night we went on our first night snorkel. The forefront of my thoughts was “watch out for Diadema!” If anyone was going to get stabbed by one it would be me. When we got to the dock and shined the light down at the water the wall was covered in them, their red bodies shining. When I saw that and how massive they actually were when they weren’t hiding I almost decided not to go, but I’d already spent half an hour putting on my wetsuit and decided to suck it up because it would be worth it. The night dive was spectacular and I am Diadema spine free…for now.

11jan14_megan_diadema

The Beast: Diadema antillarum during the night snorkel.

11Jan14_megan_night

Lights in the water: Night snorkeling in a group, lights shining at the bottom trying to find things like octopi and rays.  

– Megan

5 thoughts on “11 Jan PM – Sea Urchins

1. It looks like you all are having a great time, but would someone get a photo of Emily? You may have to be sneaky about it. She hides form cameras like prey hide from predators.

2. Megan,
    I remember how terrified you were of the creatures in Austrailia, and how you overcame that – good job in Jamaica. Funny, when I was a kid we snorkeled in Costa Rico and I remember the black spiny sea urchins….they were terrifying!
    love dad