04 Jan -First time SCUBA diving!

Coming to Jamaica, I was most excited for the opportunity to log a bunch of new dives. I got my SCUBA certification back in May, however since then I have not had any opportunities to go out and dive. This means this trip is my first time diving outside my certification dives and I could not be more excited! Up until this point, we have gone on two dives, one yesterday morning and one this morning. The dive yesterday was a check-out dive to refresh our memory on some important skills. We dove at Eco Reef during this dive (unfortunately I didn’t bring my camera, so no pictures of this spot). For our dive this morning, we dove at Dancing Lady. This dive was more chill with the goal of exploring the reef and taking pictures of any organisms we see.

As soon as we got down to the bottom this morning, I was greeted by a fairly large barracuda. It was only around for a few seconds, but I was able to capture a (slightly blurry) picture as it swam by.

Picture of my barracuda friend.”  

After a little bit of dawdling around, my dive partner and I came across a cool crab cage. [Editor note: crab cage = local fisherman fish trap] There was a large crab (species to be identified) hanging out inside the cage as well as a few lobsters (also to be identified).

Crab (center) and lobster (bottom right) saying hi from inside the cage!”

I can’t wait to get back into the water and find see what I can find in the days to come!

Tim