11 Jan – My first time collecting data

My view near the top of Dunn’s River Fall’s

After a fun day in Ocho Rios it was time to start our research project. Or so we thought. Yesterday we got all the supplies and suited up to go snorkeling in order to collect data. Once we were in the water we realized it was way too disturbed to do anything sufficiently. We could barely see the bottom. Dr. Warren agreed it would have to be pushed off a day, and the water conditions would be better today. I took the rest of the day to study for our lab practical, in the sun of course.

Selfie during our outdoor study session

I have been trying to get as much sun as possible, dreading going back to 30 degrees, clouds, and possibly snow. This morning we went out right after breakfast and were able to sufficiently map the bottom. Once we finished we counted how many parrot, damsel, surgeon fish, and Diadema, Tripneustes, and Lytechinus or Echinometra we saw along the transect. Even though it was work I enjoyed it a lot. It was my first time collecting data or doing anything in the field related to marine science. For me, this trip is a big deciding factor whether or not I want to pursue it for a career. After today I believe I will enjoy doing field work and Ill be looking for a related job/ internship when I get back to Long Island.

KODAK Digital Still Camera

Diadema NOT spotted in the grassbeds during our transects

-Kiwi Kristina