When I first saw the trailer for this film I thought nothing of it. I believed it would just be another lousy DC film that delivered a terrible product like the churned out mess that Batman vs Superman or The Justice League movies were. However, as the release became closer and the footage was released, I actually found myself becoming excited for the release of this film.

Although both the new and old media would like you to think otherwise the Joker was an outstanding movie with a deep meaning behind it. Many people online claimed this film was a shallow work with no deeper meaning to it other than to promote violence or to empower incels. I find myself vehemently disagreeing with these opinions, the film promotes taking care of those in our society who need help with obstacles brought on by mental health and shows us what society becomes like when we toss those people aside. I never expected a project like this to come from the same director who directed all The Hangover movies, but I’m glad he directed it and I’m also glad that Joaquin Phoenix agreed to start it. The film shows a man who struggles with mental illness and what happens to him over the course of having a few bad days with no possible route of help. Joaquin Phoenix is its amazing actor, that is something we can all agree on whether you agree with my take of the film or not, the power he brings to this role really shows throughout the movie because he’s killing it. and although many people also say that this film promotes excessive violence it only shows three separate instances of violence by the main character and it doesn’t glorify him for doing them. All the acts were against people who either have wronged him or for one scene they were physically attacking him. the movie is outstanding and one of the best films released in 2019.

I cannot recommend this film enough and because of how good it is I give it a 10/10 rating.