Stony Brook Stitchers Mission – Our members volunteer their time, energy, and creativity to lovingly create items for those in physical, emotional, or spiritual need.

Hi Everybody,

Melissa and I hope you are well and enjoying this beautiful weather. I’m sure the barbeque grill is close by, and the wine is chilling. Yummy!

Melissa and I want to thank you for all your donations this year. Now that I have retired, I am volunteering at the Hospital. I help Melissa sort the donations and deliver them to the different hospital units. Sometimes I wish you were with us so that you can see how grateful the Nurse Managers are to receive your donations. Your donations help so many Nurses, patients and families. The donations bring smiles and happiness to everyone. Even the hospital staff smile when they see Melissa and I pushing the hospital cart filled with beautiful blankets, quilts, hats, stuffed animals down the hallways. I believe making someone smile is a blessing.

Volunteering at the Hospital allows me to hear firsthand from the Nurse Managers how a blanket or a children’s surgical cap helps them comfort a patient. These items help them start a conversation with a patient who is shy or afraid. You are helping us fulfill our mission with every donation.

Melissa and I believe that by helping the patients we are also helping ourselves. Recently, we received a beautiful letter and donation from a Third Grade Class from Nassakeag Elementary School. The class wanted to learn how to crochet and knit. One student suggested that they could “give back” to the community by donating baby hats to the hospital. Their teacher, Ms. Betz said: “Making those hats was very therapeutic for the children. It actually helped with their focus, taught them patience and had an overall calming effect on them. It had benefits all around! I know some of the hats were odd colors and pompoms didn’t match but I gave them the liberty to do as they please. It was a creative outlet.”  I’m telling you their gift was just precious! Ms. Betz said she is going to do this project again next year.

Thank you again for all you do to support our mission. I’m including some handy information about sizing for Afghans, lap blankets, baby blankets, and hats for your convenience.

Melissa and I hope that you have a beautiful summer and will hear from you soon.

Take great care. Love,

Jan

jan.tassie.sbu.stitchers@gmail.com

https://you.stonybrook.edu/stonybrookstitchers/

Afghans & Lapghans & Baby Blankets & Baby Hats Sizing

Afghans should be 50 inches by 65 inches.

Lapghans should be 36 inches by 48 inches.

Baby Blankets the Safe Sleep Initiative throughout the Hospital has recently updated the requirements for newborn baby blankets. L&D clinicians in the Newborn Nursery can accept receiving blankets size 30″ x 30″ or 30″ x 40″ for newborn baby blankets. Patterns we suggest have no gaps for baby’s fingers to get caught in and be very soft.

Isolates: 36″ x 40″ (Blankets made smaller than this cannot be used. Check your patterns and make the necessary adjustments.)

General Guide for Sizing Baby Hats – The Nurse Managers in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) have asked us to use very soft stretchy yarn or material for the hats. The Nurses say that you should use the size of a soft ball or a grapefruit as guides when making the hats to make sure that they fit the baby. **Special Note from Nurse Managers: The average size of newborn babies is 6 – 10 lbs. Make sure the hat is deep enough so that the hat does not pop off the baby’s head.

***The Nurse Managers have also asked for more baby booties. They help keep the babies warm.