08 Jan AM – Snorkeling by Day and Night

On Friday we made several snorkeling trips in order to collect specimens for our tanks. In the morning the water was pretty rough due to high winds. This made the visibility much lower than usual, and we weren’t able to find very much. When we went back in the afternoon, however, the water was much clearer and we were able to get going on our collections, grabbing most of the more common algae and invertebrates that we have studied so far, including an upside-down jellyfish (Cassiopea frondosa) that for some reason seems to prefer to stay “rightside-up” in our tank and we caught a suckfish. Several of the other groups had the good fortune to catch a few fish, but they all managed to ellude us.

Jamaica day 3 billy lake
An electric ray photographed during the night snorkel by Billy Lake

Tonight several of us went on our first night snorkel of the trip. It’s amazing how different the lagoon is after dark. Balloonfish (Dioden holocanthus) and Squirrelfish (Holocentrus adscensionis), which I have only seen a few of during the day so far were everywhere. I would have loved to have gotten some pictures with my new external flash, but unfortunately my camera has been fogged up, and the flash unusable since we got here, which is a shame because I have no evidence of the Peacock flounder (Bothus lunatus) I spotted in a sandy section of the lagoon earlier. Even so, I was able to see some interesting species for the first time tonight. We saw several octopi (Octopus vulgaris), and a few rays which we have yet to identify. I also gathered a few Spotted seahares (Aplysia dactylomela), though one somehow managed to escape from the closed collection bag on the way back to the lab. Hopefully we will have more opportunities to explore the various parts of the bay during the rest of the trip, including the deeper sections once we get to start SCUBA diving. Anyway, off to bed, there’s lots to do tomorrow.

-Kevin Maritato

12 thoughts on “08 Jan AM – Snorkeling by Day and Night

1. Hey Kev.I am excited to see the species list you are compiling. Sounds like you are in a Great Place for diving. I would love to see an octopus!Keep the updates coming.

2. While a student at the University of Texas pursuing a degree in Criminal Justice, I also had the opportunity to “study abroad”. I got to take a trip to San Antonio to tour a state jail facility! I would have preferred a trip like this. Enjoy this incredible adventure you’re on!

3. Wow Kevin, you are really lucky to be able to experience something many of us will never have the opportunity to. Enjoy every minute!!!

4. Diving at night sounds like a great experience. You are making me want to become a SCUBA diver!! Keep the blogs coming.

5. Hey Kevin very interesting that its like a whole new world to see at night compared to whats down there during the the day when most of us dive, thanks for the heads up on that.Sorry to hear about the camera problems but all the pictures in the world is nothing like seeing it for yourself and that will stay with you for life. Wish i was down there with you.

6. Hi Kev. Wow what a wonderful experience. I would love seeing all these things. It must be beautiful. It’s something to remember. Enjoy the experience.

7. Hey Kev. I would love to SCUBA dive and see all of the exotic aquatic animals! I hope that your having fun!

8. Kev, I am fasinated why the Upside-down jelly fish is staying rightside-up. I wonder why they are upside-down in the wild and what might be causing it to be rightside-up in the lab tank? If you figure that out, let me now.

9. Hopefully, other students and the Profs are taking photos, so at least when you return home you can get copies from them! Keep having fun exploring the Underwater kingdom!