08 Jan – Ja-maic’n Me Excited 

Jamaica has been good to me thus far; the weather is always nice even when its cloudy it’s still warm. However, the days here are long and exhausting, being here only a couple days has easily felt like weeks! The second day here we took a snorkeling tour of part of the bay and saw so many colorful fishes, sponges, corals and so much more. By the third day the certified divers were able to go out and do their checkout dives, which was SO fun because we went to 60ft and swam around Eco Reef.

I did not provide a caption for my photo so this is a request for Sandra’s mom to post a blog comment containing an embarrassing story about Sandra.

Later that night we were able to go night snorkeling for the first time and got to see all the nocturnal creatures that only emerge the waters at night. I was a bit nervous since there are many diadema (urchins) feeding at night, and my flashlight died 10mins into the snorkel when I was far from the dock and it is pitch black under the water at night. Luckily, we never snorkel or dive alone and my buddy’s light led the way for us both. I was also able to catch two balloon fish with my hands to bring back to the wet lab for my lab group and the rest of the class to see. The fourth day was also spend snorkeling in the morning and the divers were able to go out with Professor Peterson and see some new things, my favorite were the neon sponges that had bright blue fish around them.

Sandra’s temporarily captured burrfish in a wet lab aquarium.

The lectures here are interesting even though we have three a day and it is a lot of information it is in things we are got to see every day. The people here are also very nice and the ladies that cook our meals in the kitchen are beyond amazing and very accommodating. This has been a great experience so far and I can’t wait to see what is yet to come in the days to come. 

-Sandra

7 thoughts on “08 Jan – Ja-maic’n Me Excited 

1. Glad it’s been a good experience so far, ever since she was little Sandra liked to pick up and play with any little critter she saw not being squeamish about it and teasing her friends with them.

2. How exciting to be sorrounded by all the different marine life! I can’t wait to see and hear more about your learning experiences.

3. Sandra, I am so proud of you! Keep doing what you love, keep exploring, learning and experiencing these wonderful educational explorations, you’ll be a greater human being for it! “Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming…”. Love Tiía Yaya!

4. So excited you’re having such an amazing experience. I know you were a bit nervous but go for it, always! Explore! See, touch and be surrounded by the splendor of Discovery Bay! Thank your Professors for this blog so we know about your visit. Really enjoy reading all the posts. Keep up with updates. Hey, if you catch it, can you eat it? At least the invasive fish, could make a nice “ceviche!” Just put some lime & sprinkle salt! It’s a win-win! Love you, mami

5. How exciting seeing you happy doing what you love! We are so proud of you Sandra! I guess all those years of trips to the aquarium paid off. We all love you and can’t wait to see you and hear all about it! Keep exploring, leave no rock unturned!

6. Excellent post! Glad to hear you are having a wonderful experience. Truly amazed at the amount of snorkel and dive time you are getting while having three lectures a day. Really interested in hearing more about your night dive. That is something I would excited to experience first hand. Keeping working hard, be safe, and realize your dreams!

7. Umm, so what you bringing me back from there? I know everyone else was thinking it lmao. So proud of the work you are doing there and how far you have come in your journey. Keep it up!!