07 Jan – Immersive Wonders: Adventures in Jamaica

On day 7 of snorkeling in Jamaica, the transformation from my hesitant start on day 1 was remarkable. In the initial days, grappling with malfunctioning snorkel gear and acknowledging my limitations as a swimmer posed many challenges in reaching the reef crest. This struggle not only impeded my ability to navigate effectively but also restricted the diversity and quantity of species I could find. But now, the spectrum had broadened significantly. The reef was a tapestry of diversity, showcasing massive starlet corals standing tall, intricate brain corals nestled among vibrant finger corals, and the mesmerizing yet cautionary fire corals. Schools of parrotfish, angelfish, and colorful wrasses danced among the corals. The unidentified plant species added an air of mystery, their unique shapes and hues captivating our attention, prompting discussions and speculation among our group as we marveled at the sheer abundance and variety thriving beneath the surface. Here are some of the cool things I’ve seen so far:

Peacock flounder spotted by Tim and me.

Queen Conch spotted by Tim.

Balloonfish spotted by me.

Despite the breathtaking beauty, this experience has been challenging, pushing me well beyond my comfort zone. Confronting my fear of the ocean was a hurdle I needed to overcome, and though it’s been a rough couple of days, the sheer diversity of over 120 species of plants, fish, and invertebrates has been both awe-inspiring and overwhelming. Trying to memorize the scientific and common names of these numerous species has been daunting. It’s been a mental workout, and truthfully, I haven’t felt confident about my grasp on the course material. However, I’m striving to maintain a positive outlook, embracing each encounter as a chance to learn and grow, even amidst the uncertainty and occasional discomfort.

-Ariana