Week 7: 03/13/2015 Library Databases and Shadowing

lib books

This week’s internship class we had two guest speakers from the Library to come over and talk about the different databases that are offered by the school. I personally have yet to write a research paper but if I ever need to, this internship class definitely pointed me in the right direction. If you go to the stony brook library website and hit databases, you are met with a long list of available databases for students. There are database specialities where each one can pertain to a certain field. I think this information is important to know because if a student asks where they can find databases, consultants will know where to point them.

During my shadowing time with Celia we went over briefly the basics of the difference betweens Macs and PC. The most important thing to remember is that you can only print color documents from a Windows computer. The scanner on Macs is called vuescan but at times it does not work at which on Window’s computers users can use Adobe Acrobat Pro. Next on the list was the difference in WolfieNet connections such as Guest, Get-Connected, Secure, and Open. Guest is used for people that come to visit Stony while Get-Connected was the old way of connecting to Secure. Open does provide internet access but it’s mostly used for connecting to video game consoles. Secure can now be easily connected to by just simply logging in with your NetID and password. I remember that when I first came in as a freshmen I first used Wolfie Get-Connected but now it’s just easier to log directly into Secure. I learned about ResNet page offered on the Stony Brook page. The ResNet page is used to offer information on SOLAR, downloads such as anti-virus, SSH, CAT, Security Check, and much more. The ResNet page offer links to preform speed tests and pings if needed by users.

The next topic that I went over Celia was to do when their is an unscheduled class takeover in a remote SINC site. The first thing to do would be check the class schedule and see whether or not the class reserved the SINC site for the given time. The best thing to do would be to politely tell the professor that they need to leave the classroom as they do not have it reserved. If the class is already in session, inform Rose with the professor’s name, ID number, and class name. Tell the consultant that is working at the SINC site to come to main library.

During my shift with Jenney, we went over both consultant and public workshops. Jenney informed me that she teaches Excel for Statistics and asked me if I was interested in teaching any workshops. I had heard that you are able to create your own workshop and that Edward had created one on computers. If anything, I would be definitely interested in a similar workshop or the one on how to construct resume, currently taught by Helen. I also heard from Jenney that in some instances classes like ADV 101 will recommend for students to take these workshops so they can get very packed. A common issue that we discussed was the [retry free] error that can happen with print from anywhere. This error can occur when a student uploads the document to the print from anywhere queue online. In order to solve this problem the user would have to reprint it from a computer.

During my usual time with Charles and Hilton, I instead shadowed Helen as one of them had subbed out their shift. Helen gave me a brief tour of the TLL staff area as well as the faculty center.

Skip to toolbar