February 19, 2016

This week we learned about e-portfolios, which is a tool that students can use to make a customized page for themselves. Through this tool we can upload our resumes, share files, and share writings/work for different classes/organizations in a professional and organized layout. It is a great way for students to make their skills and experiences known in one organized and easily accessible online portfolio. Having an e-portfolio is so important especially in this day and age because employers are known to navigate the social platforms of their potential employees.

I am happy to say that it has been an eventful week in shadowing. I think what’s great about shadowing senior consultants is being able to see the different kinds of leadership styles that each person has. I have been inspired multiple times to embody the qualities that some of my mentors have shown me. Some of the things I learned was the list of important faculty members and also the differences in responsibilities of a senior consultant and a support line consultant. I was shown how to navigate through the consultant e-mails and also the support line e-mails and was introduced to some features in programs like 25live, Matlab, and AdobePhotoshop. Although I did not have the opportunity myself to answer phone calls, I was able to witness the process and study the standard procedures that follow. Often times there would be specific questions that requires information from outside your field of required knowledge but you must always show professionalism and do your best to lead them one step closer to their answer. Also, in order to be a resourceful and efficient consultant it is best to stay updated and informed with the programs offered by attending workshops and doing your own research.