14 Jan PM – Sunny thoughts

With the exam behind us and this beautiful day ahead of us, my classmates and I are excited to begin working on our research endevours. There is a warm breeze and the sun is shining and strong. The bay is as inviting as ever. Emily and I went scnorkeling this morning, and while it did not yeild the expected result, I was delighted to see a plethora of squirrel fish and parrot fish sporting their bright orange, red, and pink colors. Squirrel fish are nocturnal, therefore catching them as the sun came up was a treat.
As expected there have already been hiccups in our procedures, ideas, and methods as we race the clock to find out as much as we can about this tropical marine environment.

With an environment so diverse in fish, plants, and invertebrates, the possibilities are endless but not our time. I seceretly wish that we had an endless amount of it. We could use the time to learn about the entire ecosystem, including the birds and other organisims on land that contribute, because it is all connected. In so little time, we have focused on the big picture, trying to get a taste of what this paradise is all about. My personal goal as a scientist in training is to learn the most about as much as I am able, so that in the future I can help in the efforts to perserve and protect these special habitats both in the coveted carribean, and my own backyard on the north east coast of the United States.

Photo

Photo

Can you spot the creature in this photo looking for brunch?

– Graceanne

3 thoughts on “14 Jan PM – Sunny thoughts